If you are looking for the next cloud computing job, or if you just want to assess your cloud skills, you may want to get a cloud certification.
There are many available out there, and for people developing Cloud apps on IBM Bluemix, there is the “IBM Certified Application Developer - Cloud Platform v1” . This brand new certification was announced this summer and is targeted at cloud developers who have practical experience with Bluemix and related technologies. To prepare for this Cloud Application Developer certification, there are a lot of training assets available for free.
The developerWorks team recently released Getting Started with IBM Bluemix, a free, self-paced, online course that focuses on Platform-as-a-Service and cloud development best practices. This introductory training will not help you acquire deep dive skills, but it guides you through hands-on labs to create apps using Bluemix, Git, Node.js, Cloudant, CloudFoundry and Docker containers. Each module includes:
- A video to describe the training objectives
- Hands-on exercises to create an application
- A quiz to test your understanding of the concepts covered
Another training asset may also help you prepare for the certification: The Node.js workshop in BlueLabs (biased advice as I created it : - ). During this simple workshop, you create, deploy and run apps using Bluemix DevOps Services instead of third party tools. Through six different labs, you explore Bluemix Services main capabilities ((Track & Plan, Web IDE, Hosted GitHub, Delivery Pipeline) to create cloud web applications. Each lab includes:
- A detailed workbook
- Reusable Bluemix apps to avoid too much cumbersome coding
Before you take the certification exam, I also strongly recommend to:
- Review the tutorials that are available for some key Bluemix services
- Read carefully the Objectives and Study Guide to identify the areas you are less comfortable with.
- Take the Assessment Test to get familiar with the kind of questions asked during the real test (promotion codes for both the sample test and the real exam are available on the last page of the study guide).
The “IBM Certified Application Developer - Cloud Platform v1” is for technical practitioners. The training assets listed here will help you brush up on your Bluemix skills, but it is expected that you have some working knowledge of developing cloud applications.