As a mainframe customer, you have already chosen to build part of your digital transformation on IBM Z, the most trusted, secure, firm foundation on the market. And any building project requires the right tools. IBM Application Delivery Foundation for z Systems (ADFz) is a proven, integrated tool box that can help you design, build, test, and debug z/OS software so that you can make the most of your investment in that robust, IBM Z foundation.
IBM z Systems enterprise DevOps has a valued tradition of delivering tools that provide Day One utilization and support of z/OS software that is built for the latest IBM Z capabilities. We are proud to carry on that tradition, with the announcement of Application Delivery Foundation for z Systems V3.1 on July 17, 2017, and general availability scheduled for September 8, 2017. The highlights of ADFz 3.1 include:
- Support for the IBM z14, with simplified exploitation of the latest optimization technology, 64-bit applications, plus support for z/OS V2.3, Enterprise COBOL for z/OS V6.2, Enterprise PL/I for z/OS V5.2, Automatic Binary Optimizer for z/OS V1.3, CICS® TS for z/OS V5.4, IMS™ for z/OS V14.1, z/OS V2.3 XL C/C++, and DB2® for z/OS V12.1.
- Refactoring of COBOL applications using new refactoring tools, coupled with deeper IBM Application Discovery and Delivery Intelligence integration
- Support for Eclipse Neon V4.6.3 as part of the IBM Explorer for z/OS Aqua release train.
- Seamless integration into your DevOps tool chain, with support for the SonarLint for Eclipse plug-in. And for you to try, as a technical preview in IBM Explorer for z/OS V3.1.1 Aqua, open APIs that enable flexible, scenario-based z/OS tools integration.
- Simplified, improved searching and navigation of z/OS resources, especially for ISPF users
Because ADFz is a suite of integrated, full-feature tools, all built on the Aqua release train, and each tool can be obtained individually, we are kicking off a series of deep dive blogs that give you the low down on the new capabilities. The first in this series is “What’s new in z/OS Debugger V14.1”. z/OS Debugger is the core technology that powers z/OS debugging for IBM Debug for z Systems, IBM Developer for z Systems, IBM Developer for z Systems Enterprise Edition, and IBM Application Delivery Foundation for z Systems, and is the only debugger that can handle debug of COBOL modules that have been optimized by Automatic Binary Optimizer for z/OS.
In the coming weeks, stay tuned to Mainframe DEV for in-depth information on what’s new in:
- IBM Developer for z Systems, the developer’s cockpit, providing an integrated development environment for developing and debugging IBM z/OS® applications, and with new capabilities in V14.1 to speed z/OS application refactoring for API enablement.
- IBM Fault Analyzer for z/OS, simplifying the process of diagnosing z/OS application abends, now with 64-bit PL/I support
- IBM File Manager for z/OS, providing a comprehensive set of tools for efficiently manipulating z/OS data, updated in V14.1 with simplified data search and navigation
- IBM Application Performance Analyzer, to help you identify z/OS application performance and response time problems, and assists in reducing resource consumption.
- IBM z/OS Explorer, the strategic integration platform for IBM Eclipse-based tools for z/OS application developers and system programmers.
ADFz can underpin all levels of your digital transformation initiatives- from keeping your core z/OS applications running optimally, all the way to helping you achieve shift left testing as part of an automated delivery pipeline as an essential part of your DevOps tool chain. To learn more, check out the following resources:
About the Author
Alisa Morse - Senior Offering Manager, IBM