Part of the installation process installer captures inputs from user. Then evaluates the input values to ensure settings are valid, and it calculates several values for other configuration parameters based on hardware settings and database instance needs. You can use the Instance Configuration Wizard in GUI or console installation modes to use this new feature. However, make sure you choose the option “Creating Demonstration Database Server Instance” during installation process to automatically create the customized configuration file.
There are little differences between UNIX and Windows installation wizard.
- Checked 'Yes' for Use create an IDS demonstration database server instance
- Choose option for Customize the default configuration file
- On Windows platform the Instance Configuration Wizard is only available with custom setup in GUI mode.
- You must checked 'Demos' under select the feature you want to install
- The 'Enable a custom configuration file' must checked also
Following are some restrictions that you need to remember during installation:
- Installation directory must be empty
- The root chunk file must be empty or not exists. Installer will create the file.
- Parameters affected by the Instance Configuration Wizard are not available for silent installation.
During installation, Instance Configuration Wizard captured following input from user:
- Installation Directory
- Database Server Name
- Database Server Number
- No. of central processing units (CPUs)
- Memory: System RAM dedicated to the IDS server (in MB)
- No. of online transaction clients
- No. of decision support clients
Based on the above information installer will set following configuration parameters:
ROOTPATH, ROOTSIZE, MSGPATH, DBSERVERNAME, DBSERVERALIASES, SERVERNUM, DRLOSTFOUND BAR_ACT_LOG, BAR_DEBUG_LOG, DUMPDIR, JVPJAVAHOME, JVPHOME, JVPPROPFILE, JVPLOGFILE, ALARMPROGRAM, SYSALARMPROGRAM, JVPCLASSPATH, BUFFERPOOL, VPCLASS
If the Instance Configuration Wizard encounters a problem while validating or calculating configuration parameters for customize configuration file, the configuration file is created with default, workable configuration parameters and an appropriate message displayed.
The customized configuration file will save as 'onconfig.<DBSERVERNAME>' in etc directory under <INFORMIXDIR>.
The "Creating Demonstration Database Server Instance" option with installation process will create a demo database instance. Once the installation process complete, installer generate two script files called profile_settings (korn shell) and profile_settings.csh (C shell) for setting environment variable for demo server instance in $INFORMIXDIR/demo/server (%INFORMIXDIR%\demo\server for Windows) directory.
Following is a screenshot of instance configuration wizard on UNIX platform (console installation mode):
You must choose '1 - Yes' for create an IDS demonstration database server instance and '3- Customize the default configuration file to suit your needs and hardware' in console installation mode.
Following are some screenshot of instance configuration wizard on Windows platform (GUI installation mode):
You must select 'Custom' in GUI mode
Make sure to checked 'Demos' for create an IDS demonstration database instance
Make sure 'enable a custom configuration file to suit your needs and hardware' also checked
An example of server configuration setup. You need to insert values for customize the database server.