Informix introduced the PSM (Primary Storage Manger); a new backup storage manager in version 12.10 that replaced the previous ISM (Informix Storage Manager). The PSM manages storage devices used for backup and restore requests that are issued by Onbar. This storage manager supports both serial and parallel processing for backup and restore requests. PSM is easier to set up and use, even in embedded environments. You just need to perform four simple steps to configure PSM and take an Onbar backup:
1) Decide where you will create the PSM catalog. The default location is $INFORMIXDIR/etc/psm.
2) Add devices for DBSPOOL and LOGPOOL
- onpsm -D add /backups/psm_spaces -g DBSPOOL -p HIGH -t FILE
- onpsm -D add /backups/psm_logs -g LOGPOOL -p HIGH -t FILE
3) Onconfig settings - you can keep the default values
- Set BAR_BSALIB_PATH to full path to libbsapsm.so
- Set PSM_CATALOG_PATH to full path to PSM catalog directory
- Set PSM_DBS_POOL DBSPOOL
- Set PSM_LOG_POOL LOGPOOL
4) Take an onbar backup
You use the Informix
onpsm utility to manage storage for Onbar backup and restore operations, including parallel backups, that use file devices (disks). The
onsmsync utility provides new commands that you can use to export backups to, and import them from, Informix PSM external device pools.