I announced our latest Data Studio offerings in this blog about 4 weeks ago. Since that time, I've been getting feedback that many people are confused about how we are packaging the Data Studio offerings, and they aren't sure how these new offerings fit into the existing Data Studio development and administration tools. In a nutshell, we now have three offerings:
- The Data Studio "base" offering is a no-charge product that contains the tools that customers get when they buy a DB2 LUW, DB2 Connect, or IDS product from IBM. The base offering is made up of the application development and database administration tools that shipped with Data Studio 1.1.x (Visual Explain, stored procedure builder and debugger, SQL builder, simple ER diagram support, table editor, etc.). This same no-charge product can also be downloaded without purchasing another IBM product here: http://www.ibm.com/software/data/studio/
- Data Studio Developer V1.2 consists of the Data Studio base offering above, with a number of additional tools that help customers build pureQuery applications. This includes tools that allow the developer to capture JDBC queries during unit test, and bind those queries as static SQL using the pureQuery runtime. This allows you to benefit from the pureQuery technology advantages, without changing your application source code to use the pureQuery APIs directly.
- Data Studio Administrator V1.2 consists of the Data Studio base offering with many additional improvements in database administration for DB2 LUW that greatly reduce the human labor associated with making complex database schema changes:
- Synchronizes, copies, clones, or merges database schema definitions from a source DB2 system to a target DB2 system
- Remotely runs DB2 commands, such as utilities, application rebind, and data import/export
- All generated commands can be viewed, added, deleted, and validated before running them
- Graphical wizards lead novice users through the DB2 schema change management process:
- Manages side-effects and dependencies
- Generates Data Definition Language (DDL) to change the database
- Preserves data
- Preserves authorizations
- Preserves application binding
- Automatically propagates changes to related objects, streamlining change management
The IBM Data Studio Administrator v1.2 and IBM Data Studio Developer v1.2 are now available as a 30-day trial package from the following website:
Data Studio Administrator 1.2:http://www14.software.ibm.com/webapp/download/search.jsp?go=y&rs=swg-dsa12
Data Studio Developer 1.2:http://www14.software.ibm.com/webapp/download/search.jsp?go=y&rs=swg-dsd12
The trial packages will allow use of new features of Data Studio Administrator and Data Studio Developer v1.2 products for 30 days. It will revert to the existing Data Studio v1.1.x no-charge functionality at day 31.
In addition, please check the following link for a video overview of the Data Studio Developer v1.2 features.http://channeldb2.ning.com/video/video/show?id=807741%3AVideo%3A10108
I hope you have a chance to download these new Data Studio offerings and see what they have to offer. If you have any feedback about this blog entry, either add a comment to this blog or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
-- Curt Cotner