Why IBM SONAS?
As dependencies on today’s enterprise business computing increase, ensuring that applications are highly reliable becomes more critical. Constant outpouring of data by various day to day enterprise business applications has new storage challenges for today’s enterprise business IT environment.
The VMware vSphere makes it simpler and less expensive to provide higher levels of availability for mission-critical enterprise business applications.
The IBM Scale Out Network Attached Storage (SONAS) provides extreme scale out capability, with a globally clustered network-attached storage (NAS) file system built upon IBM General Parallel File System (IBM GPFS).
The IBM SONAS is the best in class storage solution that provides performance, clustered scalability, high availability (HA), and functionality that are the essential demands for enterprise IT virtual infrastructure.
VMware vSphere delivers higher levels of availability with VMware HA and VMware Fault Tolerance (FT) features.
Integrated VMware vSphere and IBM SONAS virtual IT infrastructure, meets the demand of high availability and massive scalability in terms of performance and storage capacity of enterprise IT virtual infrastructure.
Economic challenges drive enterprise business to provide high levels of enterprise business application availability, performance, and extreme scalability while simultaneously achieving greater levels of cost savings and reduced complexity. As a result, data center infrastructure increasingly virtualized because virtualization provides compelling economic, strategic, operational, and technical benefits. Planning a robust, highly-available, and extremely-scalable infrastructure solution for enterprise virtual data center environments hosting mission-critical applications is of utmost importance.
Some of the key aspects of an effective high-availability virtualized infrastructure include:
Operational efficiency and management simplicity
- Cost effectiveness
- Architectural simplicity
- High scalability
- High performance
- Resiliency and flexibility
VMware vSphere provides uniform, cost-effective failover protection against hardware and software failures within an enterprise virtualized IT environment with VMware high availability and fault tolerance features.
The traditional NAS filers do not scale to high capacities. When one filer was fully utilized, a second, third, and more filers were installed. As a result enterprise business IT administrators very often find themselves in the managing silos of filers. Capacity on individual filers could not be shared. Some filers were heavily accessed while others were mostly idle.
The SONAS system is available in as small a configuration of 27 terabytes (TB) in the base rack, up to a maximum of 30 interface nodes and 60 storage nodes within 30 storage pods. The storage pods fit into 15 storage expansion racks. The 60 storage nodes can contain a total of 7200 hard disk drives when fully configured using 96-port InfiniBand® switches in the base rack. The SONAS advanced architecture virtualizes and consolidates multiple filers into a single, enterprise-wide file system, which can translate into reduced total cost of ownership, reduced capital expenditure, and enhanced operational efficiency.
Assuming 2 TB disk drives with fully configured SONAS system can scale up to 14.4 petabyte (PB) or raw storage and billions of files in a single large file system. SONAS system can have as few as eight file systems in a fully configured 14.4 PB or as many as 256 file systems. IBM SONAS provides:
- Automated policy-based file management that controls backups and restores, snapshots and remote replication based async replication technology
- A single global namespace with logical paths that do not change because of physical data movement
- Support for serial-attached SCSI (SAS), nearline SAS, and Serial Advanced Technology Attachment (SATA) drives
- High availability world-class clustering (90 nodes fully configured) and load balancing
- Centralized management
- Centralized backup
- An interconnected cluster of file-serving and network-interfacing nodes in a redundant high-speed data network
- Virtually no capacity limits
- Virtually no scalability limits
- Support of the cloud environment. A controlled set of end users, projects, and applications can perform the following functions:
- Share files with other users within one or more file spaces
- Control access to their files using access control lists (Microsoft® Windows® clients) and user groups
- Manage each file space with a browser-based tool
Integrating VMware HA and VMware FT technologies and petabyte scale IBM SONAS offers one of the best in class value proposition. The combination of VMware vSphere and petabyte scale IBM SONAS provides a simple and robust high availability solution for planned and unplanned downtime in a virtual enterprise IT data center environments hosting mission-critical applications.
For more information on IBM SONAS powered virtual IT infrastructure please read following technical reports:
- https://www.ibm.com/partnerworld/wps/servlet/RedirectServlet?cmsId=stg_ast_sys_wp_sonas_asynchronous_replication_vmware_vsphere&attachmentName=IBM SONAS business continuity solution with SONAS asynchronous replication and VMware vSphere 4.1.pdf
Udayasuryan A Kodoly
Storage Technology Specialist - IBM SONAS