BigInsights 1.3 released. What's new? Enhancement to Performance, Manageability, Consumability and Integration capabilities. Where do you start?
If you are new to BigData concepts you can start with this
1. http://www.ibm.com/bigdata - Quick introduction to Big Data. Reading time - 5 minutes
2. http://www-01.ibm.com/software/data/bigdata/enterprise.html - Give you an overview of the two products in IBM Big Data - InfoSphere Streams and InfoSphere BigInsights - Reading time 10 minutes
3. http://bigdatauniversity.com - This contains an excellent Certification Course for Hadoop Fundamentals - and has a good coverage on the open source foundational components such as Hadoop, MapReduce concepts, Pig, Hive, Flume JAQL etc. There are videos, hands-on downloadable VM, lab exercises, reading material etc. The bible of Hadoop and MapReduce reference pdf book is available for download. If your expertise so far has been one line summary of each of the technolgies mentioned above, you will need to spend about 3 to 4 days to cover this course, reading time + exercises. There's a test that you can appear for at the end of the course and yes, you get a certificate if you clear it. Reading up and clearing certification time 4 to 5 days
2. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ibPcPUwkVE4 - Here's another awesome introductions to BigData. Each sentence in each slide explained.
Head-On into BigInsights
1. http://www-01.ibm.com/software/data/infosphere/biginsights/ - Get datasheets, webinar on how you can leverage cloud, VM with BigInsights and Karmasphere studio for download.
2. http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/data/library/techarticle/dm-1110biginsightsintro/ - Quick introduction to the architecture of IBM Big Data with a preview of what you can expect when you get deeper, Though it is based on 1.2, it still is a good starting point. Also explains the difference between the basic edition and enterprise edition. Reading time - 1 hour
A little deeper into BigInsights
1. http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/bigins/v1r3/index.jsp - Get more deep into installation, functions and features of each of the components of IBM BigInsights - BigSheets, BigIndex, JAQL, Text Analytics etc
2. http://www-01.ibm.com/software/data/infosphere/biginsights/basic.html - Get your hands dirty - download the Basic Edition to try it out.
Advanced Topics on Big Insights
1. http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/cloud/library/cl-cloudhadoop/ - Cloud and Big Insights - Tutorial on how IBM Smart Cloud can be used to deploy BigInsights Reading time - 1 hour
1. http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/wiki/biginsights - Wiki
2. http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/forums/forum.jspa?forumID=2409 - Forum
3. https://www.facebook.com/#!/IBMbigdata - Facebook
4. https://twitter.com/#!/IBMbigdata - Twitter
We'll keep editing this page as I get more starting points in these categaroies. Want to see more info here? Comment on this blog and let me know.