- Enterprise JavaBeans (EJB) 3.1
- Java API for XML Web Services (JAX-WS) 2.2
- JavaServer Pages (JSP) 2.1
- Servlet 3.0
- JavaServer Faces (JSF) 2.0
- Java Persistence API (JPA) 2.0
- Java API for RESTful Web Services (JAX-RS) 1.1
The SmartCloud Enterprise WAS virtual machine image is ideal for using WebSphere in production or leaning to use it, perhaps studying for Websphere certification. To start up WAS in SCE UI follow these steps:
(1) go to the Control Panel and click on the 'Add Instance' button
(2) In Step 1 of 4 select a data center and select the image 'IBM WebSphere Application Server 8 Standalone Node and click next
(3) Choose a compute size, as shown below
(4) Enter the parameters for configuring WAS, including administrative ID and password and click Next
(5) Click Next again, agree to the Terms and Conditions and click Submit.
(6) Check the Control Panel for the virtual machine instance to be provisioned. It will take several minutes.
(7) After it has been provisioned take a note of the IP address. You can log in to the operating system with an SSH client.
The WebSphere 8 image is build on Red Hat Enterprise Linux. If you have chosen to configure the IHS server, as in step 4 above, you will now be able to point your web browser to the IP address or host name of the virtual machine and will see the IHS welcome page. To connect to the WebSphere Integrated Solutions Console enter the address below into your browser:
http://<fully_qualified_hostname or IP>:9060/ibm/console
and enter the user ID and password that you set in step 4 above. You should see a screen like shown below.
See the book Developing and Hosting Applications on the Cloud for more details on using SmartCloud Enterprise and related offerings from IBM.
Note that you will need an SCE account to try this out. You can sign up online at https://www.ibm.com/cloud/enterprise. Please note that the image catalog in SCE is updated regularly.
Developing and Hosting Applications on the Cloud book: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B008FP2G5O
IBM SmartCloud Enterprise: https://www.ibm.com/cloud/enterprise/dashboard
WebSphere Application Server Network Deployment V8.0, Core Administration certification: http://www-03.ibm.com/certify/tests/ovr317.shtml
IBM WebSphere Application Server V8 Concepts, Planning, and Design Guide redbook: http://www.redbooks.ibm.com/abstracts/sg247957.html?Open
WebSphere Application Server V8: Administration and Configuration Guide redbook: http://www.redbooks.ibm.com/redpieces/abstracts/sg247971.html?Open
WebSphere Application Server information center: http://pic.dhe.ibm.com/infocenter/wasinfo/v8r0/index.jsp
The ideas expressed in this blog are my own and do not represent IBM.