Our book was released today:
Developing and Hosting Applications on the Cloud by Alex Amies, Harm Sluiman, Qiang Guo Tong, Guo Ning Liu. IBM Press. ISBN-13: 978-0-13-306684-5
It is available in Mobi (Amazon), EPUB, and PDF formats.
The book gives a broad view of developing and hosting cloud-based applications. IBM SmartCloud Enterprise (http://ibm.com/cloud/enterprise) is used in examples and to explain concepts but the ideas apply to other clouds as well. Here is an outline of the chapters:
- Chapter 1 Infrastructure as a Service Cloud Concepts - introduces what an IaaS cloud is, the basics for cloud technology, and business uses of cloud
- Chapter 2 Developing on the Cloud - how to use the cloud to run your own development environment and application server
- Chapter 3 Developing with IBM SmartCloud Enterprise APIs - using RESP APIs for management of cloud resources
- Chapter 5 Open Source Projects - an overview of some open source projects important to virtualization and cloud
- Chapter 6 Cloud Services and Applications - an overview of some services in Linux systems and how to make these into cloud applications
- Chapter 7 Security - an overview of the main aspects of cloud security
- Chapter 8 Performance, Availability, Monitoring, and Metering - use of monitoring tools to increase the reliability of cloud services
- Chapter 9 Operations and Maintenance on the Cloud - how to operate and maintain a cloud service
Thanks to my co-authors Harm, Jonathan, and Guo Ning and the SmartCloud Enterprise development team.