Here is the description from the Contest website.
- Fastest Professional Consultant DBA
- Fastest IBM Developer (IBM employee)
- Fastest Senior DBA (over 50)
- Fastest Mid-Aged DBA (30-50)
- Fastest Youngest DBA (under 30)
- Fastest Newest DBA (shortest experience with Informix)
- Fastest Old-timer (longest experience with Informix)
- Fastest International DBA (Non USA resident)
- Fastest Domestic DBA (USA resident)
- Fastest with the fewest changes
- Download the data and the SQL Code
- Setup an Informix IDS environment
- Identify and add missing indexes
- Tune and optimize the Onconfig file
- Tune the optimize dbspace/table layout
- Tune the optimize SQL script
- Run the benchmark script
- Repeat this process until you are satisfied with your times
- Send the ONCONFIG file, a setup.sh script and the tuned benchmark_run.sql file to us by September 30, 2009 and we will see how it runs on our hardware.
Advanced DataTools is sponsoring a NEW contest for Informix Users to find and honor the fastest Informix DBAs. This is a new version of our very successful contest at the 2009 IIUG Informix User Conference. The challenge is to take a basic Informix IDS database server configuration and a SQL script that runs a series of inserts and updates and see who can get it to run the fastest!
There will be 12 winners in the following CATEGORIES:
Grand Prize – the Fastest User DBA. To qualify for this prize, the user must be 1) a DBA employed at a company using Informix internally, 2) not a consultant, 3) not an IBM employee. (Grand Prize is either a Free pass to the 2010 IIUG Informix User Conference or an iPod Touch)
Honorary Prizes (Fastest DBA Shirt):
The challenge will be to complete the following:
Talking of iPod Touches, half my colleagues here in Beaverton seem to have got themselves one and are proselytizing its virtues in a rather cult-like fashion. I will stick with my crackberry as addictive gadget of choice for now thank you very much.