By: Brent Baude.
Fedora 17 is now generally available for ppc64. The release notes are available at ->
While Fedora 17 offers a ton of new features itself, some of the key features specifically for ppc64 are:
- Switched to grub2 from the traditional yaboot bootloader
- Fixed multipath install issues in Anaconda
- Added feature to automatically set the install disk as the priority boot device
- Added the ppc64p7 subarch to yum and rpm, which allows for building and installation of POWER7 optimized binaries (compiled with -O3, mtune/mcpu=power7)
- Online repository of pre-compiled POWER7 optimized RPMs and will be adding more as time goes on (see release notes for more information)
Congratulations to the Fedora team and enjoy!