Yesterday I came across an interesting issue.
After upgrading from BPM v126.96.36.199 to v188.8.131.52 the Server List in my Process Center was completely empty. The servers were reachable and available though.
When I clicked the Servers tab, I found the following exception in the log:
[3/11/15 12:16:12:430 GMT+01:00] 00000061 wle E CWLLG1274E: An exception occurred.
java.lang.RuntimeException: Unable to locate initialization vector and encrypted data
at com.lombardisoftware.utility.CipherHelper.decrypt(CipherHelper.java: 84)
at com.lombardisoftware.client.persistence.Server.getDecryptedPassword (Server.java:57)
I looked at the LSW_SERVER table of my BPM database and the server entries were listed.
Reviewing the table definition of my LSW_SERVER table, I saw that the password column had a definition of varchar(256), although after the installation of FP2 (or JR42774) it was supposed to have varchar(1000). So something must have went wrong during the installation of the fixpack - most likely during the post-install steps where the db schema was upgraded.
After I updated the schema (as described in the post install steps) I nulled the passwords in the LSW_SERVER table, as the heartbeat would simply re-add them afterwards.
And voilá - the servers were listed again.
And if you are facing the same issue but the above steps do not help, take two of these and call me in the morning.
Your Doc D.