developerWorks announced a new developerWorks Premium offering recently that will have you tapping into technology trends and staying ahead of the curve. Have you ever thought about what technology trends are emerging and what technology themes are relevant now? Well, probably most of you will have identified Cloud or Big Data & Analytics or Mobile technologies among the current - and future - trends. But there is more on the IT horizon.
In their annual survey of thousands of technologists, the IBM Academy of Technology has identified the top ten themes. Among the “usual suspects” such as Cloud and Analytics you will also find less obvious ones, e.g. User Experience or New Software Models. But let’s discuss all ten of them briefly (also see https://ibm.biz/BdXYBF):
- Analytics & Data: This is definitely not a new trend, but the progress that has been made with data curation and the development of actionable insight based on Analytics opens the door for new business opportunities. It’s now interesting to see which services and new offerings will emerge to evolve the theme and the market.
- Cloud Computing: Cloud is also not a new topic. But delivering new efficiencies, agility and innovation through the Cloud will still be an important topic in the market. Predictions tell us that fully one-third of all personal digital content will reside in cloud-based environments by 2016, and 80% of new applications will be distributed or deployed through the cloud.
- Mobile & Wearable Computing: Delivering a “killer experience” is the key to winning customers wallet share - and this experience will be mostly delivered through mobile devices. Moreover, this topic is particularly interesting, because mobile and other wearable devices will create most of the data in a few years (“data at the edge”) and also become a major source for computational power.
- Security and Privacy: In the era of big data and cognitive business security attacks, data breaches and related costs are on the rise. Therefore security and privacy remain important topics regarding protection, secure access and simplified compliance for all assets - including data - so that you don’t lose the opportunity to leverage them.
- Intelligent Automation for the Internet of Things: Intelligent Automation is expected to herald the next generation of productivity in processes, using the concepts of automation, artificial intelligence and closed-loop self-optimizing systems, especially for the internet of things.
- User Experience: This theme may not sound like one of the usual technology trends. But focusing on the end user’s experience, i.e. starting with the outcome you want to achieve with every (technical) solution is at the core of this trend. We see IT focus and spending on business user interfaces will increase.
- Digital Business Transformation: All of the top ten technology themes will - sooner or later - lead to changes in business models due to the digitization. Just think of the use of sensors and other internet of things devices in the automotive and insurance industries. Or the advances in diagnosis and personalized medicine based on cloud, data and cognitive computing.
- Cognitive Business: The new era of computing is cognitive. We will see - and already see - systems that can understand natural language, reason and constantly learn to leverage all available data.
- New Software Models: The ways in which software is produced and consumed are dramatically changing. Instead of traditional front-ends, IT teams now focus on building new apps (and redesigning existing ones) for smartphones, tablets, and other mobile devices eg: drivers for windows 10 computers. API services and micro-services become more and more important, and will become one of the pre-reqs for the ongoing digitization.
- IT Infrastructure of Tomorrow: Even though many people rather think of Cognitive Business, Cloud and Analytics as the most important technology themes, one should not forget infrastructure - which is finally where solutions are built upon. Traditional technologies continue to play a fundamental role, but we will also need to consider emerging technologies like brain-inspired chips, robotics, etc. if we want to imagine our technological future.
Of course, these themes don’t stand on their own only: The intersections and linkages between them are maybe even more important. For example, cognitive businesses emerge based on sound data curation, secure computation in the cloud and will finally lead to digital business transformation. And this is just one straightforward example from the many more.
You may now wonder what these trends have to do with developerWorks?
Well, the new developerWorks Premium offers a wide range of tools, resources and support to rapidly create new solutions. Numerous services are available for you to start your journey into app development, to leverage cognitive capabilities, and to deploy your solutions in the cloud. This will not only help you to tap into the top ten technology themes, but also learn from others and exchange ideas with a vast network of experts around the world - inside and outside IBM.
I encourage you to leverage the new platform to get ahead of the curve and explore the top ten technology themes “in real life”.
Don't forget to join our Tech Topics for Women community!