Recently, StrikeIron announced that some of their services are available as widgets to run on IBM's QEDwiki mashup maker. These widgets are stored on IBM's Mashup Content repository called Mashup Hub. You can try out these new StrikeIron widgets by accessing QEDwiki on the alphaWorks Services Site.
Here's a step-by-step process to create your own QEDwiki application using a StrikeIron Service.
Before you begin, you will need to register on the IBM.com site to have an ID to use QEDwiki. To register, simply go to https://www.ibm.com/account/profile/us?page=reg By having an ID on the IBM.com web site you can also access other premium content such as developerWorks tutorials and alphaWorks downloads.
To use StrikeIron services within QEDwiki, you will also need to register an account on the StrikeIron Web Site at http://www.strikeiron.com/Register.aspx . (Remember to check your email to fully activate your StrikeIron account.)
Now that you've registered on both the IBM and StrikeIron web sites, you can now create a simple situational application on the QEDwiki mashup maker utilizing StrikeIron Services by doing the following steps:
- Visit the QEDwiki site on alphaWorks Services
- Then click on the Try It Now link.
- Once you enter your IBM ID and agree to the license, you will see the QEDwiki welcome page.
- Optional step: You can click on the links on the left menu to learn more about using QEDwiki. Good places to start are to select "Introduction" and view the "How To" subtopics, such as How to Create a Page, How to Create Data, etc. Also you should view the Tutorials located in the "AssemblersGuide" section.
- Drag and drop the "ReversePhoneBusinessIntel" icon (the one with a question mark) onto the second row within the QEDwiki page. You will see a pop-up panel for this widget requesting you to enter a valid StrikeIron ID and Password in order to use the StrikeIron Service. Then select the "Next" button on the upper right corner of the pop-up panel. (Do not press the "OK" button just yet.)
- On the next panel, it asks for you to enter a phone number. Instead of having a static number, we want to use the SearchForm to allow users to enter phone numbers in the entry field. We want the ReversePhoneBusinessIntel widget to consume the contents of the SearchForm entry field. So select the "paper and pencil" icon on the far right of the entry field.
- On the next panel, select the "SearchForm" widget and the "search" topic, and press "OK".
- The resulting "editing properties" panel should look like this:
- Then press "OK", and select the "View" tab because you have now finished the assembly of your QEDwiki situational app.
- For this application, you can enter business phone numbers and perform a "reverse phone number lookup". For new accounts, StrikeIron will provide you with 25 free hits. So if you enter a business phone number such as 914-499-1900, this is what the final application looks like:
So with similar steps, you can create new QEDwiki applications which use other StrikeIron services or which use data services from other providers. You can add map widgets or weather forecast widgets if you want. The page you just created is a wiki page after all, so you can add text to the page by simply selecting the "Page" tab and choosing either the WYSIWYG Editor or Text Editor. Your situational application web page can then be shared with anyone you choose.
Manager, IBM Emerging Technologies Development