IBM ECM SaaS offers a range of Enterprise Content Management (ECM) services in IBM Cloud portfolio for Content Management needs. Below are the five different offerings which are part of IBM Cloud ECM SaaS portfolio.
- IBM Datacap On Cloud: Content Capture, Classification, Processing, Data Extraction, Cognitive
- IBM Content Foundation on Cloud: Content or Document Storage, Management, Search, Content Search Services, Retrieval, Workflow
- IBM Case Manager on Cloud: Case Management, Advanced Workflow, Analyzer, Case Monitor
- IBM Content Manager On-Demand (CMOD): Storing Reports, Statements, Search, Retrieval
- IBM Content Manager (CM8) : Storing content, Search, Retrieval and Lifecycle
All the above offerings are available in 4 standard configuration models based on the work load.
More about each of the offering are available below links.
Above offerings cover the entire spectrum of ECM (Enterprise Content Management) services ranging from Content Capture, Processing, Storage, Versioning, Search, Retrieval, Content Lifecycle, Archival, Workflow, Case Management and Cognitive capabilities in IBM Cloud. All these services are delivered through IBM Content Navigator a unified User Interface which supports all the above offerings.
Below diagram shows the list of ECM Services / features which are available in each of the offering. Customers can choose one or more offerings to implement content, workflow and case management centric use cases for their business applications.
Note: The list of services or features available in the offerings are not limited to the above. To know the exhaustive list of features please contact IBM.
IBM can also help in choosing the right offerings for your needs.
This article also focuses on the benefits which the stakeholders would get by adopting IBM ECM SaaS Offerings. The three key stakeholders are
- Enterprise IT Department
- Business Users
- Enterprise IT Department:
In an enterprise setup, IT department should take care of provisioning servers, security, compliance, procuring software license, applying fix packs, backup of data,promoting application to higher environments and ensuring business continuity as well. In IBM Cloud, all these tasks are taken care by the IBM ECM SaaS. Apart from this some key benefits which the IT Department can get most out by adopting to IBM Cloud are :
- Enhanced Security: In IBM Cloud ECM SaaS, security is provided at Storage level, Network level and at individual VM level as well. Apart from this Security is also provided in application layer by enabling encryption of content in File stores. This will ensure that all unstructured contents and data are encrypted and controlled by application level security.
- Retain full Control of Cloud applications: Through Identify Federation, customers can federate the identify from On-Premise LDAP to IBM Cloud and there by managing all end user access to the application. Please note that with this option passwords are not stored in IBM cloud, only user and group information is stored in IBM cloud. This ensures that authentication and access to cloud applications can be controlled by Enterprise (On-Premise) LDAP.
- Standardize and Simplify ECM Operations: One thing which is common in ECM implementations across many customer environments is Enterprise IT often face the challenge of managing the ever-growing content running into Terabytes. In many Organizations content are managed in different silos owned by different LOBs and IT departments face hurdle in bringing them all together for a unified model which helps in easy governance. With difficulties in enforcing a unified framework across different ECM systems, ECM operations like backup & restore of huge unstructured content repositories, monitoring, maintaining systems with recent software versions, dealing with requests from different LOBs, developers and ensuring business continuity in case of disaster becomes very complex to deal with. By embracing IBM ECM SaaS for ECM implementations many of the complex operational tasks would be taken care, customers can focus on working with different departments and application development team to adopt to better standards and framework for easy governance.
- Performance and Scalability : ECM Systems and slowness can be heard in the same conversations very often. Ever since the need of the Organization to deal with unstructured content and the ever-growing nature of content, scaling an ECM solution is very much required. With the option of different offering models to choose from based on volume (Ex: Bronze, Silver, Gold, Platinum) scaling needs and platform issues are taken care by IBM ECM Cloud, IT departments should have one less problem in their list of problems to deal with.
- Innovation: Since many of the operations tasks has been taken care by IBM Cloud, IT department can focus more on Business needs, Innovation, Strategy, Roadmap, Transformational programmes and Change Management which are vital for the success of a ECM solution rollout and overall success of the business. And, this is a good opportunity to revamp the existing IT and ECM systems and adopt to state of the art technology and solutions.
- Hybrid Cloud: Investments made in the On-Premise can be leveraged by integrating On-Premise applications with applications in IBM ECM Cloud.
(i) An on-premise capture solution can be integrated with Repository and Workflow applications in IBM ECM Cloud. (Please note that Capture services are also available in IBM Cloud).
(ii) On-Premise LOB solution can make use of the ECM Services available in IBM Cloud.
When a Development environment is subscribed developers can access ECM SaaS platform for development purpose. Below are some of the advantages for Developers when subscribing for a ECM SaaS offering.
- Focus on one’s strengths: ECM Developers need not spend time on platform configuration, software installation, sorting out the dependencies like LDAP, Databases, required Fix pack levels, Network Firewall, operational tasks like backup etc. Instead application development team can focus on working closely with the Business users to understand their business needs and design a scalable ECM solution with exciting new features. Business analysts or professionals with no experience in coding can configure out-of-the box ECM applications. Developers can focus more on Usability which plays a key role for a successful roll out of intranet and internet applications.
- Embrace latest technology: Opportunity for developers to focus more on the latest technology like Mobile application development. This helps to add more value to the business. Latest ECM Offerings from IBM have support for Mobile application development. Mobile SDKs for IBM ECM products like Datacap and Content Navigator are available which the developers can make use of it to customize the ECM solution for Mobile Channel. Out of the box mobile apps are also available.
Note: Mobile access is only supported by using WiFi through Customer VPN.
- Hybrid IT and Custom ECM Solutions: Most of the IBM ECM features are exposed as APIs, Mobile APIs, Webservices, Restful Services, CMIS (Content Management Interoperability Standard for repository services). This gives more freedom to developers to develop custom ECM solutions, Hybrid Cloud applications, create application framework and standardize ways to consume ECM Services.
3. Business Users:
- Early Adoption: The above-mentioned benefits would result in faster turnaround of applications to business users which in-turn helps users to embrace the latest tools and technology. Enabling users with technology which are contemporary in the market gives business a definitive competitive advantage.
- Successful Rollout: IBM Content Navigator provides a unified user interface for all the ECM services like Content Capture, storage, retrieval, workflow, archival and analytics makes training and adoption to new ECM solution a seamless exercise. Be it a fully cloud based solution or Hybrid Cloud Solution or Customized ECM solution built by a strong team of developers giving focus to usability will make it easier to adopt by intranet and internet users.
By embracing IBM ECM Cloud, we had seen how each of the stakeholders and their efforts would complement each other which is very vital for a successful roll out of ECM application.
Detailed information and contact details for IBM ECM SaaS Portfolio is given below:
IBM Datacap on Cloud:
IBM Content Foundation on Cloud:
IBM Case Manager on Cloud:
IBM Content Manager OnDemand on Cloud:
IBM Content Manager
About Author: Karthick Subramaniam is working with IBM India Software Labs as Cloud Content Services SME. He works in IBM ECM SaaS team helping customers to rollout their ECM applications on IBM Cloud. He can be reached at email@example.com
Linked In: https://www.linkedin.com/in/karthicksubramaniam/