In a previous blog post for Rational Application Developer v9.5 Beta (Feb), we covered how to use Software Analyzer Team Advisor to improve code quality by allowing RTC administrators to set code delivery preconditions, forcing developers to adhere to certain static code analysis rules when they deliver their code. In RAD 95 Beta (June), we are adding a new feature so that Software Analyzer can be run as part of Rational Team Concert builds and the results of running both Java Code Review rules and Java Software Metrics can be viewed as part of the general build results.
Software Analyzer Build Integration requires a new offering called Rational Code Quality Extension for Continuous Integration to be installed into IBM Rational Team Concert Build System Toolkit 4.x, 5.x or 6.0 on the build machine. The Software Analyzer package under Code quality tools for Rational Team Concert Build System Toolkit must be selected during install. IBM Rational Team Concert client 4.x, 5.x or 6.0 must be installed on the RAD client workbench. Use the -clean option when starting the build engine.
- On your client workbench IDE, create a build definition using the provided wizard. Select the Software Analyzer - Jazz Build Engine - Ant template on the General Information page, and make sure Software Analyzer is selected on the Post-build page. The build definition editor will open up automatically after completing the wizard.
- Fill out the appropriate fields relating to Supporting Build Engines, Jazz Source Control and Ant. Select the new Software Analyzer tab and fill in the Software Analyzer Target Resource directory field. This is the main folder where the Eclipse projects for analysis reside and will be the same load destination directory that is specified in the Jazz Source Control page.
- In the Software Analyzer page Rule Selection section, select one of the two following options:
- Use an existing .dat file: A rule file that has been previously exported can be specified to be used during the build.
- Make a rule selection: Select one or more rules to use during software analysis.
- The Software Analyzer page Report Options section offers options for generating html and xml reports as well as affecting general build results so that if any rules marked as severe are violated the build fails
When Software Analyzer is specified as a post-build participant, a new Software Analyzer Results tab appears in the build results. This tab contains a summary of the Software Analyzer results, including up to 100 of the most serious results for Java Code Review and/or Java Software Metrics. If HTML or XML reports were selected to be generated in the build definition they will be available in the Downloads tab of the build results.
Software Analyzer RTC Build Integration in RAD v95 Beta (June) allows users to run static code analysis rules as part of an RTC build and see the results as part of the RTC general build results.
For more information about Software Analyzer integration with Rational Team Concert builds, visit our Knowledge Center.
* To find out more about Rational Application Developer V9.5 Beta, visit our Early Program site.
* To join a discussion or ask questions about Rational Application Developer V9.5 Beta, visit our Beta Forum.
* To learn more about IBM Rational Application Developer, visit our Product Wiki.