Support for portlet creation & publishing to WebSphere Application Server Liberty Profile
IBM Rational Application Developer (herewith referred to as RAD) V9.5 Beta now supports portlet development targeting WebSphere Application Server Liberty Profile in addition to WebSphere Application Server & Portal Server. In this release, RAD enables tools support for creating JSR 168 and 286 compliant portlet projects and accelerates the deployment & testing of these applications using Liberty Profile. Well known to be lightweight, highly composable and fast, the integration of RAD and Liberty Profile (installed with the Portlet Container extension) offers speed and agility to portlet development.
Portlet tools support in RAD V9.5 Beta includes:
- Portlet creation wizard for creating JSR 168 and 286 portlets targeting Liberty Profile.
- Wizard for deploying portlet projects from workspace to Liberty Profile.
- Portlet jsp creation for the Portlet projects targeted for Liberty profile.
When a portlet project is deployed and hosted on Liberty Profile, a Web Services for Remote Portlets (WSRP) producer can be configured on WebSphere Portal Server to enable the consumption of these portlets through WSRP on a portal page.
Support for Script-based Portlet
IBM Rational Application Developer V9.5 Beta provides script-based portlet as a new Portlet type in the Portlet creation wizard when targeting WebSphere Portal Server V8.0 or 8.5. The Script-based portlet option enables developers to configure the use of Dojo or jQuery in the portlets during project creation.
The goals of Script-based portlet are to:
- Enable Line of Business to be more self-sufficient & have more autonomy and less dependent on IT teams
- Enable the writing of portlets using scripting skills which are more widely available vs portlet development skills
- Significantly reduces the learning curve for developing portlets for developers with no prior knowledge of portal programming
For more information about these tools, visit our Knowledge Center.
* To find out more about Rational Application Developer V9.5 Beta, visit our Early Program site.
* To join a discussion or ask questions about Rational Application Developer V9.5 Beta, visit our Beta Forum.
* To learn more about IBM Rational Application Developer, visit our product wiki.