Change Management in Cloud with IBM SmartCloud Control Desk
SowmyaN 270004S937 Visits (1528)
In a recent Service Management 360 blog, I interviewed Dr. CJ Paul, Senior Technical Staff Member & Lead Architect, IBM Service Management Products to get his insights on the importance of Change Management in a Cloud environment.
As a follow-up, we also discussed how the IBM Change Management solution, IBM SmartCloud Control Desk, helps in a Cloud environment.
Our goal is to automate and quickly fulfill the routine stuff that is in policy and does not impact the infrastructure – i.e. gracefully involve humans as needed if the calculated impacts are high, or if the risk is too high based on past performance of similar changes.
IBM SmartCloud Control Desk, our ITSM offering, is built ground-up on ITIL best practices. It is certified for 12 ITIL processes, Change Management being one of them. Its advanced impact analysis capabilities using its Configuration Management Database (CMDB) help you assess business risk across your traditional, virtualized, cloud and hybrid environments.
IBM SmartCloud Control Desk helps you automate standard changes but allows for manual intervention. It looks at a number of factors to automate the change process. Some of the questions it considers:
- If you shutdown this machine, will you have an outage? Is this machine part of a cluster?
- What apps are going to be impacted? Are there impacts to critical apps? (It needs a LOT of information to figure this out.)
- Is the risk low? If the risk is high - who needs to approve it?
- Can the change be done right now? Does it have to be scheduled in a change window?
- Are we in a blackout period? (for example, you are large retailer - and it is the Thanksgiving shopping weekend - so don't reboot the machine)
If everything is OK, the change management process is automated with no intervention. If anything is outside the norm - it queues the request for review and approvals. This way, simple, standard requests can get fulfilled within minutes (while still being subject to change governance polices) – while the risky requests take more time, and involve IT Change Managers for oversight. This enables IT to focus their attention on the riskiest of changes – while not slowing everyone down.
As your IT environments evolve to embrace virtualization and cloud, engage with experts here in Service Management Connect to discuss challenges you are facing with Change Management.
For more information on the IBM SmartCloud Control Desk, check out
- Tivoli User Community Whitepaper: IBM SmartCloud Control Desk "ITIL at the Speed of Cloud"