With the increase in mobile browsing & smartphones, it is becoming easier to get information on the go. Mobile websites filled this void earlier by providing information. With the arrival of app stores, mobile browsing took on a new experience. To decide on the whether to go for a mobile website or mobile app depends on business objectives, user demography, budget constraints & others. Having an app along with the mobile website provides an additional source of income as well. Some of the top differences between the two are
1) Apps require a good strategy to succeed. Need to decide on whether to offer free or Paid.
Users can access the websites freely & can be built easily.
2) Apps need to be developed for each app store like Apple, Andorid, BlackBerry & others
Websites can be developed on a common platform.
3) Need to share the revenue with the app stores & also comply with their terms & conditions
Can keep all the revenue & also websites can be developed without any hindrances.
4) Entry costs for the apps in some of the app stores. Also need to have a proper strategy in place to develop apps
Mobile websites don't cost much & also can be developed in house.
5) Apps can be accessed even offline. Upgrades in apps need to be installed.
Websites need to have a net connection to access. No need for any upgrades.
6) If apps are successful, it helps build brand visibility easily. Also helps in viral marketing.
Websites can be found in search engines through keyword search & it also helps in driving traffic.