On March 31, 2015 IBM announced a partnership with The Weather Company. The Weather Company includes the Weather Channel, weather.com, Weather Underground, Intellicast.com and third-party publishing partners. The company provides millions of people every day with the world's best weather forecasts, content and data, connecting with them through television, online, mobile and tablet screens. Through WSI and Weather Central, the company delivers superior professional weather services for the media, aviation, marine and energy sectors. The Weather Company is owned by a consortium made up of NBC Universal and the private equity firms The Blackstone Group and Bain Capital.
The Weather Company's weather data platform will soon be migrated to the IBM Cloud. Weather data will be integrated into key IBM tools such as Bluemix. In the near future, WSI (The professional division of The Weather Company) APIs will be available in the Bluemix catalog so developers can more easily incorporate weather data into their applications.
Africa is widely recognized as a continent vulnerable to weather risks. These weather-related disasters are undermining record growth experienced across the continent, threatening hard-won development gains and vulnerable populations.
Weather data is becoming increasingly available, precise and granular. However business processes when developing apps still frequently still ignore external conditions. The impact of weather can already be felt across industries, as follows:
- Energy and Utilities – weather patterns can be used to predict peak load and energy generation can be directed at regions where it’s needed to avoided outages
- Government and Public Safety – during extreme weather situations, predicting, preparing for and responding to events is critical
- Insurance – weather data can be used to notify customers that extreme conditions and help customers prepare, thus reducing claims
- Travel & Transportation – ships can re-route travel based on local weather conditions
- Retail – campaigns can be adapted to the needs that arise from consumers based on anomalies in weather patterns
- Agriculture – Farmers are able to plan their crops to get the best yield
Developers in Africa are already able to create applications in these sectors. Using cloud platforms like IBM Bluemix, developing such application has never been easier and more affordable.
IBM Bluemix is a Cloud Based Pl
If you need more information just put it in the comments below or tweet. You can also find me @MarinierCom