In past blogs, we have discussed the issues and challenges pertaining to requirements. Now let's discuss some of the IBM Rational solutions for addressing the challenges through Rational Requirements Composer (RRC) built on the collaborative Jazz platform.
Rational Requirements Composer is designed to provide a solution for the creation and composition of meaningful requirements based on user and stakeholder needs. Rational RequisitePro is designed to provide a platform for the management of Requirements assets, the establishment of priorities, the estimation of costs, difficulty, etc.
One issue is that many notations are needed to express requirements. How the information is related and maintenance of the relationships need to persist. RRC uses hyperlinks, collections, tags and attributes to create relationships among artifacts.
Not everything needs to be expressed in text – UI storyboards are a great way to flesh out high-level scenario options and get user validation. Also great for fleshing out low level requirements that have dimensions that are visible in the UI.
A simple scenario using storyboards would be:
1. Product managers record and organize stakeholder requests
2. Product managers collaborate with development on milestone scenarios and use cases
3. Architects and subject matter experts use process diagrams and text to outline scenarios
4. UI Storyboards help team to rapidly iterate on scenario options and flesh out design
Another benefit with RRC is Distributed teams can collaborate around the world. Teams can save valuable development time by using the web-based review and approval workflow, which is role based with reviewers, approvers, and optional reviewers.
- Stakeholders Share needs and validate proposed solutions over the web
- Project managers Understand the status of work to implement and validate requirements
- Business analysts define, validate, organize, and analyze requirements and use custom dashboards; share common views with the extended team
- Product owners contribute requirements and the market view and do reviews and approvals
- Developers and Testers ask for clarifications, help elaborate scenarios, and and give feedback
You need to bridge your information islands to help create smart software faster and at a lower cost.
and now for the demo...
See the new capabilities in IBM® Rational® Requirements Composer, which expands this application from requirements definition to requirements management. This demo shows you reporting, the Web interface, Web review and approval, collections and snapshots, and collaborative application lifecycle management.