in case you haven't seen this so far......
With the introduction of Tivoli System Automation Application Manager (SA Application Manager) version 184.108.40.206 (available since Q4 2011) the SA Application Manager has been enhanced to automate (start/stop) resources that are monitored by IBM Tivoli Monitoring (ITM).This new capability allows ITM customers to not only monitor SW components, but also control and automate SW components which are so far monitored by ITM. A simple example is a multi-tierd online banking application with software components spread across many servers. With this new integration it is possible to start, stop, or restart this complex business application or its sub-components with a single mouse click.
Here are some details:The SA Application Manager provides simple control of multi-tiered business application landscapes found in today's data centers. For example, an "Online Trading Application" consisting of a set of Webservers, several WebSphere (JEE) servers, and a back-end database,
can be managed as a single entitiy. Therefore, an operator can restart this "Online Trading Application" in a single step. Adding SA Application Manager to an existing ITM monitored infrastructure will:
- Extend the visualization solution to an application automation solution by defining business applications and their dependencies.
- Provide consistent and automated start and stop of business applications and their components.
- Increase the availability of the ITM-managed systems and applications through automatic recovery in failure situations.
- Provide a solution which is based on existing ITM infrastructure without the need to install additional agents.
SA Application Manager integrates with IBM Tivoli Monitoring (ITM) by using existing ITM resource instrumentation (ITM agents). Therefore, the SA Application Manager:Software components that have until now only been monitored by ITM, also become resources managed by the SA Application Manager. ITM resources can even become automated members of complex business applications within SA Application Manager automation policies.
- Retrieves monitoring information from ITM agents.
- Can perform start and stop operations via ITM agents.
ITM delivers many different types of agents. The integration of SA Application Manager and ITM allows almost every type of ITM agent to be integrated: Application agents (also referred to as non-OS agents), including custom agents. OS agents
For further information about this new feature contact me, refer to the release notes of the SA Application Manager 220.127.116.11, or look into the SA Application Manager Wiki.