Creating a simple, user-friendly graphical user interface for a Connections Community
Lisa Learned 1000007RGP Visits (8574)
The Community Description field in IBM Connections Communities, gives you as a Community Owner a way to help people navigate within the community. Rather than see a generic Connections site with generic widgets (blogs, forums, files, bookmarks, activities) and content displayed chronologically, Community members can instead see a graphical user interface with navigation icons that guide them to the content they need most.
How to create a simple, user-friendly graphical user interface for a Connections Community:
1. Open your Community and in the upper right corner, under Community Actions, select Edit Community
2. In the Community Description field click the Insert Table icon
3. Specify a table with 2 rows and 1 column
4. Click OK and you'll see a two row table in the description field.
5. Set the border of the entire table to 0. Right click on a cell in the table and select Table Properties.
6. Change border size to zero and click OK.
8. With the image URL on your clipboard, place your cursor in the table where you want the image to appear and click the Insert Image icon in the editor.
9. Paste the image URL into the URL field
10. Click OK and the image appears in the first row of the table. You can resize the table to accommodate the image. You can add text below the image.
11. Next we'll add a set of navigation icons to the second row by repeating steps 8,9,10 for each icon.
12. Next add the links to each of the navigation icons so that when a Community member click on one it will take them to the right page. First, find the page that you want to open when a community member clicks the first icon, then copy the URL to your clipboard. Then, come back to the community description and right click on the navigation icon. Select image properties.
13. Click the Link tab and paste the URL in the URL Field. Then click OK.
14. The end result will look something like this and community members will be able to click an icon to go directly to the right area in the community. It could be a blog entry, a wiki page, a discussion forum, folder, activity, calendar or sub-community.