This post is contributed by Catherine Moxey, IBM Senior Technical Staff Member - CICS Performance and Optimization
Here are Catherine's top 5 reasons for upgrading to CICS Transaction Server for z/OS Version 5:
- Built-in WebSphere Liberty Profile - for hosting JEE applications directly in CICS, such as web front-ends to CICS resources.
- Application Multi-versioning - enabling you to deploy more than one version of the same application to a single CICS region, or a set of regions within a cloud-enabled CICS platform, with versions of the programs that are private to each application being isolated from each other.
- CICS Threshold Policy - for controlling and managing the resource usage of tasks running in your CICS environment.
- Performance Enhancements and Operational Efficiencies - allowing you to run more tasks concurrently within a region, with further threadsafe support and virtual storage constraint relief. This could allow you to reduce the number of regions required to run a workload, with improvements both to performance and to management overheads.
- Security Enhancements - in support of industry standard security mechanisms, such as SAML and Kerberos.
And a bonus sixth reason:
- CICS Mobile Support - mobile support and z/OS Connect support in CICS, allowing you to easily connect CICS assets to JSON-based mobile applications
Have you upgraded to CICS TS V5 yet? What new feature have you found most useful? Let us know in the comments.