Each queue manager in a queue sharing group (QSG) must have OPMODE set to OPMODE=(NEWFUNC,800) and be restarted in order for any queue manager in the QSG to utilize some V8.0 functions. This means that there are effectively two phases to enabling V8.0 new function in a QSG.
The first restart with OPMODE set to OPMODE=(NEWFUNC,800) prevents the queue manager from being reverted to run on an earlier release level.
The second restart, when all other QSG members have already been restarted with OPMODE set to OPMODE=(NEWFUNC,800), and therefore cannot revert to run on an earlier release level, allows V8.0 new function to be used.
For example, in a QSG containing three queue managers, there will be a total of five queue manager restarts required to enable V8.0 new function on all QSG members. A customer was only allowed to only restart one MQ a week, so this took 5 weeks. Of course you could stop two queue managers, and start them again. Stop and restart the third queue manager(this can now use the new functions), then restart the first two again. So an hour to enable it.
During this time you will get CSQ5037I csect-name New function not available, incompatible queue managers in the queue-sharing group
Explanation: An attempt was made to start the queue manager in new function mode, but some queue managers in the queue-sharing group are either not at a version that is sufficient to coexist with the new functions provided in this level of code, have not been started in new function mode, or do not have compatible QSGDATA parameters.
Let the names of the QMGRs be QMA, QMB, QMC.
- Change QMA to use OPMODE=(NEWFUNC,800), restart it, you will get message CSQ5037I
- Change QMB to use OPMODE=(NEWFUNC,800), restart it, you will get message CSQ5037I
- Change QMC to use OPMODE=(NEWFUNC,800), restart, you will not get message CSQ5037I because all of the queue managers are at the right level, this queue manager can use the new functions
- Restart QMA, this queue manager can use the new functions
- Restart QMB, this queue manager can use the new functions
What are these functions?
- Wide log rba
- LOCATION(ABOVE) buffpools
- Multiple cluster xmitqs
- Hostname in chlauth
- Multiple certificates on channels
Thanks to Gwydion Tudor for his help with this blog entry