Chapter 6 - Multiple Entry Points to Deploy and manage Cloud Based Services
Cloud Service Management capabilities are needed to enable visibility, control and automation of cloud services. IBM provides the following open standards based integrated capabilities to implement service management for the cloud.
- IBM Tivoli Service Automation Manager - Flexible Software Solution
- IBM Service Delivery Manager – Pre-configured and optimized for virtual environments
- IBM CloudBurst - Integrated hardware, software and services optimized for cloud
If you are looking for A la carte software offering/solution for maximum flexibility, you start with IBM Tivoli Service Automation Manager. This flexible solution supports user driven service requests and automated resource deployment. The key capabilities
- Self service User Interface for Service Requests for improved responsiveness and efficiency
- Workflow support to manage the process for approval of usage
- Provisioning – Automates provisioning of resources / IT resource deployment for efficient operations and to address fluctuating business requirements
- Interoperable with existing hardware to leverage available resources and previous investment
IBM Service Delivery Manager (ISDM) is a new offering which is pre-configured management solution optimized for managing virtual environments and cloud deployments. Like Tivoli Service Automation Manager this again is also“software only” offering. In addition to the IBM Tivoli Service Automation Manager features ISDM includes the additional capabilities
- Pre-integrated solution, delivered as virtual images for faster installation and time to value.
- Monitoring to provide Visibility of Performance of Virtual Machines
- Usage and Accounting tracking for chargeback capabilities
- Management Server ready for High Availability
- Energy Management for tracking and optimizing operational costs
IBM CloudBurst compared to Tivoli Service Automation Manager and ISDM not only has the software solution optimized for cloud but also ships the integrated hardware. In addition to what was provided by its sibling offerings, IBM Cloudburst provides the following capabilities.
- Self-contained solution (managed from and to environment) to accelerate cloud deployments
- Pre-integrated solution bundled with HW, SW, storage, network and QuickStart services for fastest time to value
Thus the three offerings are designed for specific purposes and selecting the right solution is based on the requirement. You can pick from the following list and depending on what all you need, it is easy to select the solution that meets those requirements.
- Service Automation and Provisioning
- Usage and Accounting
- Virtualized H/W Management
- Energy Management
- High Availability
- Server, Storage, Network Hardware
Quite often people are interested to know about IBM WebSphere CloudBurst and how it is different from the three discussed above. While IBM CloudBurst and WebSphere CloudBurst are both appliances that accelerate time-to-value and reduce costs they are designed for two distinct purposes.
- IBM CloudBurst is a general-purpose cloud solution. It enables users to virtualize, deploy, manage, and monitor highly heterogeneous workloads in their private cloud. IBM CloudBurst is a pre-packaged cloud with integrated blades, storage, network switches, and software management software
- IBM WebSphere
CloudBurst is purpose-built to enable users to create, deploy, and manage
private clouds created from IBM Hypervisor Edition images and patterns. IBM
WebSphere CloudBurst delivers specialized WebSphere knowledge in the form
of pre-configured, optimized WebSphere patterns and images. WebSphere
CloudBurst is a cloud management device: 1U appliance that manages a private or on-premise
cloud. It requires supporting infrastructure (hypervisors, storage, and
networking) and virtual images.
Their integration augments the value of each offering with IBM CloudBurst enabling end-to-end service request governance for WebSphere CloudBurst provisioning and users still able to leverage a single portal for cloud service requests for rapid and optimized provisioning of virtualized WebSphere systems