Let me introduce Laurent Grateau that led the technical effort with RES.NET and the certification process. Congratulations to the team once again for a great effort. Below is a link to our recent press release and Laurent's words about the certification process.
What is Certification?
By Laurent Grateau, ILOG.
The Rule Execution Server within Rules for .NET 3.0 recently passed Microsoft's rigorous certification program and is now "Certified for Windows Server 2008". Laurent Grateau from ILOG worked with Microsoft's engineers on the certification and he explains how the ISV certification program works below.
The Windows Server 2008 software certification program tests an application's compliance while running on the Windows Server Operating System.The program features two designations (logos):
- The “Works with Windows Server 2008” designation ensures that an application complies with best practices for the most common Windows Server 2008 functions. This designation is intended to be an affordable stepping stone to full software certification. The "Works with" validation defines approximately 20 test cases covering basic application compatibility.
- The “Certified for Windows Server 2008” logo defines rigorous standards for stability, security, reliability and overall performance. Windows Server 2008 software certification comprises approximately 100 test cases that independently confirm an application’s compliance with best practices for compatibility, security, reliability, and availability on the server operating system.
Microsoft makes a suite of tools available to ISVs working on certification, described in the sections below.
The Cookbook covers the most common application compatibility issues and provides tips on how to modify applications or redesign them to provide a quality experience on Windows Server 2008 and/or the Windows Vista operating system.
This document details the top 10 compatibility issues when developing applications for Windows Server 2008.
Works with Tool is a wizard style tool that can help determine application’s compatibility in Enterprise environments in around 4 hours.
Creates two snapshots of fixed drives, registry settings, drivers, and services at different points in time and compares them to view differences.
A wizard style tool to help walk through the requirements and tests in the Certification program. Users can take advantage of the built-in automation and results tracking features and collaborate and track progress easily.
After some effort RES.Net passed all 100 test cases defined by the Certification Program. The tests were run and certified by independent test vendor Lionbridge through their VeriTest certification program.
Some example tests that were run:
- 48 hour stress test to test product stability and reliability
- 24 hour stress test with simulated machine incidents such as restarting services or restarting IIS
- Test all RES.NET primary and secondary functions while running under Application Verifier configured to detect Heap, Lock, and Handle corruption
- Check that all created files for proper icon, action, and description