Many people are not aware that IBM included SMIT functionality in the VIO system. The VIO command is named "cfgassist" and it is designed to be used from the padmin restricted shell. When you run "cfgassist" the VIO server is running the AIX command "smitty vios_top" under the covers. So when you run cfgassist you will see a very easy to use menu just like smit in AIX.
The VIO cfgassist menu supports things such as setting the date/timezone, changing users passwords, etc. In addition, it also supports doing many VIO specific tasks such as:
- Mapping hdisks to vhost adapters for VSCSI
- Creating Shared Ethernet Adapters
- Tasks related to the Virtual Optical media repository
- Full support for Shared Storage Pools (Creating cluster, working with storage pools, working with logical units including snapshot support, etc.)
- Using viosecure to set security level of VIO server
If you haven't already tried the VIO "cfgassist" I would highly recommend giving it a try. It can be a big time saver.
Here are a few screenshots of some of the cfgassist funcitonality: