If you have a blog on a Lotus Connections instance, you may have noticed that the tag cloud widget for your blog entries is filtered by date. For example, on my developerWorks blog, the tag cloud only displays tags for my most recent blog entries. The experience that I would find ideal, is to allow my readership to navigate all of my blog entries from the tag cloud, from the beginning.. when I first started blogging here at developerWorks, right up to my latest blog entry.
When I first noticed this behavior of the tag cloud, I admit I was stumped as to why it filtered in this fashion. I then realized it is likely due to performance considerations, but still, I found the restriction of only displaying tags for my recent blog entries quite limiting. I even considered removing the widget entirely from my blog. Then Jay Allen, our resident blog techie extraordinaire here at developerWorks, shared with me a customization trick on how to tailor the tag cloud widget to fit my particular needs.
Here are the steps to take if you would like to do the same thing on your Lotus Connections blog:
- From your blog entry, click Settings to display your blog preferences
- Click Templates, and then Edit for your Weblog template
- Find: set($popTagSince = $model.defaultPopTagSince)
- Update this property to a reasonable count in days
- I selected 300: #set($popTagSince = 300)
- 300 is the number of days to go back into my entries to grab tags
The before and after results: