The DS8800 is the next step in the evolution of the DS8000 family.
Its an evolution that began in the 1990s with the Enterprise Storage Server (the Shark).
In 2004 we announced the DS8000 and we have progressively brought out more and more powerful models since then.
The DS8800 is the next stage in this progress and brings in 2.5" SAS drives.
So I thought I would get excited by listing 10 things that make me very proud of our new DS8800 announcement:
- It uses small form factor (2.5") 6Gbp SAS drives.
- It uses 8 Gbps host adapters in either 4 port or 8 port form factor.
- It uses multi-port 8 Gbps device adapters, meaning the device adapter can drive multiple disks at very high data rates.
- It supports hot aisle/cold aisle because all the disks are now located at the front of the machine.
- It supports 1056 drives in only three frames. This means we can reduce power and floor space utilisation by a significant factor.
- It offers a business class cabling option for a lower cost starting option.
- Its copy services functions can work with all the earlier DS8000 models plus DS6000 and ESS800.
- It uses Power 6+ processors for the highest levels of performance
- With standard class cabling, you can scale from the smallest machine with 16 disks to the largest machine with 1056 disks with no downtime.
- It offers the highest levels of availability in Enterprise Class Disk.
More blog entries to come!