Fourteen new movies/Video's on System Director on YouTube
- I have just last week uploaded 14 new System Director movies that were previously a whole day Technical University session and I thought it a good idea to share these with every body.
- It comes to about 4 hours in total and it a mixture of sizes from 7 minutes to 29 minutes.
- The focus is on core Systems Director function rather than advanced function plug-ins.
- It worries me a little that we often try to talk about and sell Systems Director for the advanced stuff but you really need to get the core functions install and working for you in reduced system admin time, automation, problem reporting before installing and trying the harder advanced features.
- Active Energy Manager sneaked on the list but it is very easy to use - 5 clicks and you are saving money, know what a server costs to run and if POWER7 or POWER7+ Over-clocking during the peaks.
- Find the new Movies or as YouTube prefers Videos on my channel (I think that is the right term) at
The move to YouTube for the POWER and AIX Hands-on movies
- The new AIX wiki is struggling a bit with the size of the web page for 125 POWER and AIX hands-on movies and they are hard to find by searching the Web so I am moving all the movies to YouTube in the next few weeks.The first 40+ movies are there already.
- We have found that many people find "some what dodgy" copies of my Copyrighted movies up on YouTube and then ask me where are the newer ones because that have never found the originals on the AIX wiki.
- I am playing King Canute no longer and starting to go with the flow.
- If techies look at YouTube for POWER and AIX movies then that is where I will upload mine from now on.
- Note: When we started out YouTube would not allow long enough movies, nor high enough resolution to see what I typed or large enough files - How things change over just a couple of years. I started movie making in 2008!
Large System Director on Power user - large number of systems, not a large person!
- I have a IBM colleague in the Netherlands (Jacco Blaauw) that has been working with a large POWER and AIX user and Systems Director.
- Over the last 2 years or so, they have got various changes into Systems Director to better fit their environment - good news is that other customers and even IBM's own Out-Sourcing teams benefit from these improvements.
- The customer now has +100 Power Systems and +1600 AIX virtual servers discovered in ISD and the AIX admin team are using it fully.
- This is obviously a large installation - OK, I am only saying that deliberately to "wind up" some people and see if I can generate some comments on larger installations - Please comment below if you work on a larger number of EndPoints. Please!
That is all for this blog, cheers, Nigel Griffiths