So a long download of about 7 hours for the 1.9 GB but a reasonably quick install.
- Fresh AIX 6.1 TL6 and service pack 6 installed. See my Update below for a problem with this AIX level.
- Prepared a /database filesystem for the DB2 database.
- The Pre-Install Utility told me to fix some file system sizes, more paging space and ulimit - good stuff.
- The Installer worked fine.
Then you run the Agent Manager configuration toolFollowed by the normal "smstart" to start up Systems Director - it takes some time for the 1st time as in initialises the database.Use "smstatus -r" to monitor the status and wait for it to go Active
- The CIM Server install seems to take for ages at the start!
- It then refreshes the Common Agent, installed the default "managed" DB2 database invisibly behind the covers.
- Some where in here it installed the first three plug-ins.
- Finally, it installs the Systems Director server itself.
Then to the browser (https://HOSTNAME:8422/ibm/console) and log in as the root users (we can set-up a regular user later) and you get:
I have captured a movie about the process but it was really simple.
And, of course, we now have Active Energy Manager, VMControl and Services and Support Manager plug-ins installed but not yet activated.
- Having later tried to use this copy of Systems Director 6.3 on AIX 6.1 TL6 SP6 - I found problems in the area of Agent Manager that did not install properly.
- Sorry about that but I should have immediately tested it a bit further than just getting to the first browser screen.
- I have since ran the same install on AIX 7.1 TL1 and SP2 (the latest AIX7) and it does work properly and I am using it to control a bunch of machines.
- I recommend the AIX 7 release.
I hope this encourages you to give it ago, thanks Nigel Griffiths