This is really a reminder to myself because I hate searching for this list on my laptop but please comment on anything you see that as missing.
Here is my list of things to check or do to make a nice clean image
- Date, time correct
- Timezone correct
- IP address & full hostname OK
- Check the content of /etc/hosts and /etc/resolv.conf are as expected
- Remove junk files from /tmp etc. & old / large logs
- Also check / and /home for unwanted files
- AIX “errclean 0” to remove old error log that don't apply to the new deploy
- AIX “rm /smit.*” to remove old smit logs - remove embarrassing mistakes
- Remove root shell history “rm /.sh_history” - remove embarrassing mistakes
- Unmount any NFS mount points
- Set filesystem to sensible sizes - with a little spare capacity
- Remove old user accounts
- Remove unused apps / tools
- ulimit set - especially for RDBMS that like opening massive files
- Installed OS updates or fixes
- Installed generally useful tools: like nmon for Linux (its always there for AIX)
- Know the root password
- Cleanly reboots?
- Install Could-Init
- If it is Linux on PowerVM (HMC) hardware install the extra IBM packages for RMC/RSCT
Any house keeping you don’t want to do after every subsequent Deploy?