There are multiple deployment models available for InfoSphere CDC. The deployment model chosen for the source system will significantly affect the complexity of implementation.
Here are the CDC source deployment options from the least complex to the most complex:
1. InfoSphere CDC scraper runs on the source database server
2. InfoSphere CDC scraper runs on a remote tier reading logs from a shared disk (SAN)
- This configuration is available for Oracle and Sybase. DB2 LUW has a similar capability, but utilizes a remote client instead of reading from a SAN.
3. InfoSphere CDC scraper runs on a remote tier using log shipping
- This configuration is only available for Oracle.
Rule of Thumb
You should always use the least complex deployment option that will meet the business needs. The vast majority of CDC users install InfoSphere CDC on the source database server.