This post is the answer to one of the FAQs found in License Tips for IBM Data Replication.
A few posts back, I answered the question "Is Q Replication Free?" Or, at least I thought I did :) To clear up some lingering confusion, people have asked me to give examples of when they need to buy Q Replication for DB2 Advance Enterprise Server Edition (AESE) and InfoSphere Warehouse. I'll do that in this post using these examples:
- Replicating between DB2 AESE and DB2 z/OS
- Replicating between DB2 AESE and DB2 ESE or Workgroup Edition
- Running replication in a peer-to-peer topology with three DB2 AESE servers
All examples are applicable to InfoSphere Warehouse in addition to DB2 AESE. In other words, you can substitute "InfoSphere Warehouse" wherever you see "DB2 AESE." If you have DB2 v10 servers, you get more no-cost Q Replication than was available in 9.7. This examples highlight this where applicable.
Replicating Between DB2 AESE and DB2 z/OS
You must buy IBM InfoSphere Data Replication (IIDR)*. You cannot use DB2 AESE's no-cost Q Replication to replicate with DB2 z/OS. For example, that is the case with the case in the following picture where you have one DB2 AESE replicating with DB2 z/OS:
However, you may be able to extend this topology in such a way that DB2 AESE's no-cost Q Replication could be used for the extension. For example, let's say you want to add another DB2 AESE that replicates with your original DB2 AESE. You still have to purchase IIDR for the original systems (systems #1 and #2 in the picture below), but you can use DB2 AESE's no-cost Q Replication for the new system (system #3) because it only replicates with one other DB2 LUW.
Replicating Between DB2 AESE and DB2 ESE or Workgroup Edition
You can use DB2 AESE's no-cost Q Replication to replicate between a given DB2 AESE and any other edition of DB2 LUW. However, the following requirements must be met:
- The no-cost Q Replication in DB2 AESE can only be used to replicate with up to two other DB2 LUW servers if DB2 AESE is v10 or one other DB2 LUW server is the DB2 AESE is 9.7.
- IIDR must be purchased for DB2 editions other than AESE.
For example, say you have the following topology. In it DB2 AESE v10 is on system #2 and replicates with a DB2 ESE on system #1 and a DB2 Workgroup Edition on system #3. You can use the AESE no-cost Q Replication because it only replicates with two other DB2 LUW servers. IIDR must be purchased for systems #1 and #3.
Running Replication in a Peer-to-Peer Topology with Three DB2 AESE Servers
For me, this is the case that justifies upgrading your AESE from 9.7 to v10. For DB2 LUW 9.7, you must buy IIDR for DB2 AESE if your DB2 AESE replicates with more than one other DB2 LUW server:
With DB2 AESE v10, you can use the no-cost Q Replication fro all three DB2 servers:
Free free to post questions if you have other topologies you're interested in.
* InfoSphere Replication Server is now part of InfoSphere Data Replication and will no longer be marketed by IBM starting in March 2013. However, from a technical perspective, the Q Replication from either product can be used in these topologies.