Just wanted to update everyone and apologize for some recent issues accessing our technical information... We had a string of untimely issues of all sorts and it caused some outages...
Here were the recent issues:
- Our support.bigfix.com and forum website were down intermittently in the last few weeks due to one of our network providers connectivity failure.
- We completed our scheduled forum transition, which transitioned to the new system just fine, but some users were unable to login with their new IBM forum account. If you had previously tried to login to the IBM forum and it said you were a "guest" and the site was very slow, then you were one of these users. These should be fixed now. Please try to login again and if you have any issues, please feel free to email me.
- Our DeveloperWorks wiki was down for a while because one of our foolish admins (it was me) accidentally deleted the whole wiki instead of just deleting one wiki page. We had to restore from backup and it took a couple days. Sorry.
- We transitioned networks and datacenters and our Google Mini appliance (search.bigfix.com) refused to boot up after being shut down. It is dead now. Luckily we had another one that is now back up. Hopefully it will live a long time.
- Our old mailman server that does email announcements also decided to give up on life and so our email announcements were down for a couple days as we transitioned to a new server. Our email system will live until we transition to a new IBM email announcements and blog scheme.
It was unfortunate that all these outages came close together. We received some complaints about lower service quality these days than previously when we were standalone BigFix, but the truth of the matter is that these were almost all either related to random hardware failure, our service provider failure, or my personal failure (sorry again).
The good news is that as we transition systems, we can rely on the IBM team that maintains the external systems that are monitored and have redundant networks, servers, and backups.
We are not completely done with our transition of our BigFix systems to IBM systems, but hopefully our string of failures will be over now.
Senior Technical Staff Member, BigFix