We'd like to see e-config enhanced to help with placement of adapters that support SR-IOV. While the CEC for the MME and MHE have all x16 slots, the PCIe3 Drawer and other P8 servers have a mix of x8 and x16 slots. The SR-IOV capable adapters require an X16 slot when running SR-IOV. What we would like is, when one of the SR-IOV capable adapters is selected on a configuration, once configure is clicked is to present a message that states 'One of the following adapters has been selected. Please note that if running SR-IOV an x16 slot is required' or something like that.
We've also requested that an SR-IOV question be added to the TDA materials so that it does not get missed, especially with the larger servers.
What we found in sales manual....
The list of SR-IOV adapters
SR-IOV for POWER8 servers
Fulfilling the October 2014 SOD, SR-IOV NIC capability is announced for a full range of POWER8 servers, expanding on the Power E870/E880 system node.
SR-IOV can provide more efficient hardware virtualization and can provide quality of service controls improving the manageability of virtualized adapters.
The following Ethernet PCIe adapters are supported with the SR-IOV NIC capability:
Low profile Full high Low profile Full high -
- multi OS - multi OS - Linux only Linux only
PCIe3 4-port (10GbE+1GbE) #EN0J 1 #EN0H #EL38 #EL56
SR Optical fiber
PCIe3 4-port (10GbE+1GbE) #EN0L 1 #EN0K #EL3C #EL57
PCIe3 4-port (10GbE+1GbE) #EN0N #EN0M N/A N/A
LR Optical fiber
PCIe3 4-port 10GbE #EN16 2 #EN15 N/A N/A
SR optical fiber
PCIe3 4-port 10GbE #EN18 2 #EN17 N/A N/A
The slot placement rules for SR-IOV
The following POWER8 PCIe slots are SR-IOV capable:
- All Power E870/E880 system node slots.
- Slots C1 and C4 of the 6-slot Fan-out Module in a PCIe Gen3 I/O drawer.
- Slots C6, C7, C10, and C12 of a Power S814 (1S 4U) or S812L (1S 2U) server.
- Slots C2, C3, C4, C5, C6, C7, C10, and C12 of a S824 or S824L server (2-socket, 4U) with both sockets populated. If only one socket is populated, then C6, C7, C10, and C12.
- Slots C2, C3, C5, C6, C7, C10, and C12 of a S822 or S822L server (2-socket, 2U) with both sockets populated. If only one socket is populated, then C6, C7, C10, and C12.