Under some circumstances, the Warehouse Proxy Agent does not warehouse and prune historical data files fast enough. Consequently, the size of the short-term history files becomes uncontrolled.
Note: These steps use the Transaction Reporter as an example. The same analysis techniques apply to the other ITCAM for Transactions agents.
On 32-bit platforms, after the size of a short-term history file reaches about 2GB, the Transaction Reporter stops reporting response-time metrics to the TEP (Tivoli Enterprise Portal). To recover, stop the Transaction Reporter, delete the Transaction Reporter short-term history files, and restart the Transaction Reporter.
The size of short-term history files can be monitored with the following steps.
- Add the following KBB_RAS1 trace parameters to the Transaction Reporter configuration:
Unix/Linux: Edit the (<ITM_HOME>/config/to.ini file.
Windows: Use the MTEMS (Manage Tivoli Enterprise Monitoring Services) GUI. Right-click the agent. Select Advanced > Edit Trace Parms...
Note: We use line breaks in the KBB_RAS1 statement for readability only. Do not insert line breaks or carriage returns in the actual KBB_RAS1 statement.
Note: You only include 'KBB_RAS1=' when you edit the agent .ini file directly (example <ITM_HOME>/config/to.ini). When you use the MTEMS GUI to edit the trace parameters, you do not include 'KBB_RAS1='.
KBB_RAS1=ERROR (unit:khdxcpub,Entry="KHD_ValidateHistoryFile" state er)
(unit:khdxhist,Entry="openMetaFile" state er)
(unit:khdxhist,Entry="open" state er)
(unit:khdxhist,Entry="close" state er)
(unit:khdxhist,Entry="copyHistoryFile" state er)
- Restart the Transaction Reporter agent.
- Find the current Transaction Reporter trace logs. For example, the Transaction Reporter trace log filename is <hostname>_to_<timestamp>.log.
- Filter the Transaction Reporter trace log using the string "KHD_ValidateHistoryFile".
For example, with the Transaction Reporter, records similar to the following are generated:
(50212426.0007-A:khdxcpub.cpp,1383,"KHD_ValidateHistoryFile") History file /opt/Tivoli/ITM61/aix533/to/hist/AGGREGATS row length is 3404, size is 1477336.
- Filter the output from the previous step by using the name of the short-term history file. For example, for the Transaction Reporter, use ‘INTERACTN’ or ‘AGGREGATS’.
See Implementing Historical Data Collection in ITMhttp://www.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg21516594
- Filter out the numeric value of the size. For example, where size is 1477336, filter out the value 1477336. Here, the size is the current size of the short-term history file.
- Load these numeric values into your favorite graphing application or spreadsheet.
Example: Initially, the current size of the short-term history file continues to increase and then level off. In this example, the current size of the short-term history file stabilizes between 12MB and 14MB.
Warehousing Optimization Messages
The Warehouse Proxy Agent is optimized to use a file pointer to mark the starting point for the agent to resume processing history records. For example, the message 0 skipped means that the agent started at the beginning of the data.
(502122FC.0002-D:khdxhist.cpp,1724,"close") /opt/Tivoli/ITM61/aix533/to/hist/AGGREGATS - 434 rows fetched, 0 skipped
When the number of skipped records is not zero, it means that the Warehouse Proxy Agent skipped over records that it processed previously. For example, the message 434 skipped does not mean that data is ignored or lost. The message simply says that the Warehouse Proxy Agent skipped over 434 rows that it had processed previously.
(5021267F.0002-D:khdxhist.cpp,1724,"close") /opt/Tivoli/ITM61/aix533/to/hist/AGGREGATS - 1325 rows fetched, 434 skipped