I’d like to introduce you to BLU.... or to be more exact, DB2 with BLU Accelerator. This is an incredible piece of technology that was created by technical geniuses from IBM.
DB2 10.5 with BLU Acceleration uses a revolutionary combination of columnar data store, memory optimization and hardware exploitation to deliver a quantum leap in performance for analytical workloads without the cost or limitations of in-memory-only systems. BLU Acceleration allows organizations to gain the agility they need to satisfy their customers and generate new opportunities, all while containing costs. With BLU Acceleration all or most relevant data is stored in server memory to speed data access. As an industry first, actionable compression preserves order so that the data can be used without the added step of decompressing. BLU Acceleration uses Parallel Vector Processing which is multi-core and SIMD parallelism (Single Instruction Multiple Data) that speeds processing. Mileage varies, but 10-20x improvement is common. Another gain in speed is accomplished by synopsis techniques that avoid unnecessary processing of irrelevant data. Simplicity is a key benefit of BLU Acceleration as it eliminates many time consuming steps: making it a load and go system: no secondary indexes, no aggregates, no tuning, no SQL or schema changes. DB2 10.5 with BLU Acceleration has the flexibility of multi-platform and multi-workload optimized software that can be deployed, expanded, or redeployed as needs evolve in this era of big data.
There is much to learn about this new technology. I’ve collected a series of articles, blogs, announcements, tweets, and even a technology preview that can help you slowly dig deep to understand how this powerful software can benefit your company.
1. Start by watching this featured video that introduces you to the technology.
2. Read the IBMDataMag.com article Super Analytics, Super Easy: Introducing IBM DB2 10.5 with BLU Acceleration By Guy Lohman, Sam Lightstone and Berni Schiefer | Published April 3, 2013
Imagine a database technology that gives you 10-20 times faster performance right out of the box, requires dramatically less storage, and nearly eliminates the need for tuning. Too good to be true?
3. Read this blog entry 3 key values of the DB2 Technology Preview by Dr. Jon Lind
The DB2 Technology Preview is an exciting new accelerator for analytics. Featuring a column store for tables providing not only fantastic performance but storage savings due to the column store architecture and extreme compression algorithms. This new technology that has been developed by IBM and integrated directly into the DB2 engine.
4. Try the preview: Introducing a new IBM DB2 Technology Preview
5. IBM Champion Dave Beulke wrote this blog entry: IBM BLU Acceleration - Best Yet for Big Data!
The new IBM BLU Acceleration technology, unveiled along with a set of other Big Data products in an announcement code-named Project Athens, is very impressive for many reasons. You need to know about the IBM BLU Acceleration technology because it is the new technology that will change your design points for Big Data and will provide a huge positive performance impact on your Big Data, data warehouse and operational system architectures.
6. James Taylor attended the Launch event and wrote a summary of each section, while still at the event. IBM Big Data Management Launch 2013 Summary from James Taylor:
7. Another way to feel like you are actually at the event is to read through the tweet chats that took place during the event: IBM Announces New Innovations to Help Organizations Benefit from the Next Natural Resource: Big Data - Storify Summary from @BTRGIG
The influencers and analysts were very active on twitter yesterday while they learned about this new release. Hundreds, if not thousands, of messages flowed past our eyes so quickly... how do you make sense of this flow of information? Take a look at this Storify summary of the proceedings to find out what was of primary interest to those hearing the news: http://bit.ly/13UilTM
8. Read the official announcements: IBM Announces New Innovations to Help Organizations Benefit from the Next Natural Resource: Big Data: Industry First Data Acceleration Technology and New Hadoop System for Dramatic Advancements in Speed and Simplicity
ARMONK, N.Y. 03 Apr 2013: IBM (NYSE:IBM) today announced new technologies designed to help companies and governments tackle Big Data by making it simpler, faster and more economical to analyze massive amounts of data. New data acceleration innovation results in as much as 25 times faster reporting and analytics.
A number of our influences have created blog entries to highlight this new technology:
9. IBM Accelerates Big Data by Gregory Piatetsky
IBM made a major announcement on April 3, 2013 at Almaden Research Labs, in front of a room full of analysts, broadcast on livestream, and accompanied by a lively chat around #BigDataMgmt tag.
10. A New Version of DB2 Announced! by Ember Crooks
Like with 10.1, the messaging from IBM is pretty heavy on Big Data. I get that – it’s a hot area, and I’m keeping up on a general level. But I focus my career and my blog on e-commerce and OLTP databases right now, so I’m always looking for the tidbits that can apply to e-commerce databases.
11. Accelerating Big Data to the Speed of Business: Highlights from the April 3rd Announcement by Matt Carter
On April 3rd, IBM hosted a press, analyst and social influencer event in Almaden, California at the IBM Research Lab to introduce a new suite of IBM big data solutions, further expanding the IBM big data platform.
by Jeff Kelly
IBM has the broadest and deepest Big Data product and services portfolio in the industry, as well as the market leading revenue to show for it. But IBM's greatest asset also lies at the heart of its biggest challenge.
IBM has announced two new offerings designed to help companies and governments tackle big data: BLU Acceleration and significant enhancements to IBM's Big Data platform, aimed at making it easier and faster to deploy Hadoop in the enterprise.
14. Learn more! Attend the Tech Talk on May 8.
Join us for the DB2 Tech Talk on May 8th where we will explore the exciting technology in the DB2 10.5 for Linux, UNIX and Windows with BLU Acceleration product announcement.
This includes BLU Acceleration designed to deliver actionable information from data analytics workloads with the speed and precision that is terms "Speed of Thought" analytics.
15. Attend the April 30 Event: April 30 - Big Data at the Speed of Business - Find out more about managing big data, join IBM for a free event.
I think after reading all of this, you’ll be on your way to knowing BLU quite well!