There were many exciting announcements that took place at the IBM Insight Conference the week of October 27, 2014. The one that I want to talk about today is dashDB.
What is dashDB? It is data warehousing and analytics as a service on the cloud. For IT pros, it helps to take data warehouse infrastructure out of the equation when you must rapidly add analytics services for your lines of business. For business professionals, it provides a self-service analytics powerhouse in a cloud-easy load and go format.
Why is a cloud technology so essential when it comes to analytics? To help me explain, I pulled a few sentences from the latest book by Paul Zikopoulos and his co-authors:
“Big Data Beyond the Hype” - A Guide to Conversations for Today’s Data Center
Author team: Paul Zikopoulos, Dirk deRoos, Chris Bienko, Rick Buglio, Marc Andrews; Edited by Roman Melnyk
A journey toward the adoption of the “cloud” to meet business targets is in many ways a transition from traditional systems of record to systems of engagement and systems of people.
Of course, all this new data has become the new basis for competitive advantage. We call this data The What. All that’s left is The How. And this is where the cloud comes in. This is where you deploy infrastructure, software, and even services that deliver analytics and insights in an agile way. In fact, if you’re a startup today, would you go to a venture investment firm with a business plan that includes the purchase of a bunch of hardware and an army of DBAs to get started? Who really does that anymore? You’d get shown the door, if you even make it that far. Instead, what you do is go to a cloud company like SoftLayer (the IBM Cloud), swipe your credit card to get the capacity or services, and get to work. It allows you to get started fast and cheap (as far as your credit card is concerned). You don’t spend time budgeting, forecasting, planning, or going through approval processes: You focus on your business.
This ebook includes a discussion on the emergence of cloud technologies in data, dashDB and much more – and you cannot really go wrong since it is a free electronic download!
I was able to capture the excitement of this release by collecting all the tweets into a summary called a storify: dashDB at IBM Insight
- Watch the video: Be Fearless, Grow Your Business with NEW dashDB
- Get started: IBM dashDB is here. Keeping data warehouse infrastructure out of your way
- Search the hashtags: #knowmoreinadash and #makedatawork.
- Follow the twitter handle: @GetdashDB
- Hear from Nancy Hensley from the Cube about dashDB
- Get the great infographic: Is the elephant in the room Data security on cloud?
- Video with Beth Smith: Data is Useless if you Can’t Put it to Work
Read the blog entries:
- Bringing cloud-based modernization to data warehousing and analytics
- Introducing IBM dashDB and IBM DataWorks
- Turn insight into action
- IBM Launches DashDB and DataWorks
- dashDB is Here, and This Changes Everything for Data Warehousing on the Cloud
The time is right to modernize your data warehouse!