I have been blog tagged by Willie Favero. Don't worry, its not as painful as it sounds!
Basically, blog-tagging is a game, of sorts, that has been crawling its way through the blogosphere for awhile now. The way it works, when you are tagged by another blogger, you have to write a blog posting about yourself, with 8 things that others might not know. . . and then tag 8 other bloggers.
So here goes:
1. I grew up in a very large family.... I'm the 4th of 8 kids; my mom is the oldest of 13 kids, and my dad is the oldest of 9. I have hundreds of cousins.... many of whom I don't know very well; when my maternal grandma died last year, it was noted that she was the mother of 13, grandmother of 47 and great-grandma of 61 (and counting)! Much of my personality, and therefore of my life experiences are as a result of being part of a very large family.
2. My parents were raised in Europe (dad from Holland, mom from Belgium) and met in Canada when both families immigrated in the 50s. Many of the people living in the Stratford / Kitchener / London area were Dutch, Belgian, German, etc, so I grew up with many European customs and therefore feel very comfortable when visiting Europe.
3. I love dogs! My first dog as an adult was a yellow lab named Ginger. She died at 12 of bone cancer. Zoe is a 3 year old Giant Poo (golden retriever / standard poodle mix, actually called Labradoodle or Golden Poo, but I call her Giant Poo... since, well, she's giant compared to most dogs). I recently got a kitten... my first as an adult, and she's now 5 months old and she and Zoe get along famously. Hard to believe given the size difference, but I'm not kidding.
4. I have a 9-year old son who is gifted and and gorgeous! He's in a french school to ensure that he stays challenged in his school work and I'm about to volunteer to help enrich the education of my son and a few other gifted kids from his school. I'm thinking of teaching them to create a custom book through lulu.com or blurb.com, maybe the DB2 Detective game, tips on searching google, and a few other things. If you have suggestions, let me know!
5. I graduated from University of Waterloo and have worked at IBM my entire career (more than 18 years now)! I had a Mac in school, so didn't think I'd fit into IBM this long, but I have... and must say that I absolutely love my job!
6. I've written one book on my own, updated it with a co-author, but have helped publish 50 other books.
7. I thrive on learning... and to prove it, here are a few things that I've learned in the past 2 years: how to drive a standard, how to set up a wireless network, how to drive a seadoo, how to drive an ATV, how to ski, how to appreciate wine, and how to be alone!
8. I love to cycle, but don't do it often enough! My preference is to go on cycling trips in foreign countries. So far I've cycled in the following countries: Portugal, Spain, Italy, and am planning a cycling trip in Holland and Belgium for the spring.
I didn't think I'd get 8 points, but I did! And I didn't even get a chance to say that I love photography, reading and music as well!
OK, I guess that means I now have to tag eight others, but I can only come up with 5! So I'll tag Jeff Jonas, Chris Anderson, Leon Katsnelson, Grant Hutchison , and Ellice Uffer.You folks are now "it"...[Read More]
Keep on Learning
Matching: misc X