Date: Mar 27, 2012
Time: 12:30 PM - 2:00 PM (Eastern Time)
Speaker: Paul Zikopoulos (IBM)
Topic: An Introduction to Big Data
Big Data can mean a lot of things to a lot of people; but one thing we're sure of, it's the hottest thing to hit the IT landscape. In this chat you'll start with an introduction to Big Data so we're all on common ground as to what it is, how to spot it, and what the opportunities are. (Hint, be prepared to get shocked on Volume and more). With a strong foundation on what Big Data is, you'll be introduced to the IBM Big Data platform, what it looks like and its key components. In the final part of the chat, we'll dive into IBM's non-forked, embraced and extended Hadoop distribution (called InfoSphere BigInsights) and streaming technology (InfoSphere Streams), a tour of the Big Data platform features as it relates to these pillar components, and a get introduced to the toughest Big Data use case there is: text analytics and how this is just one areas where IBM is brining the "WOW" factor to Big Data.
Of course along the way you'll get introduced to clients that are using the platform and implicit use cases and be all set to investigate and appreciate not only what Big Data can do you for company, but how a partnership with IBM can make it happen that much faster with that much more confidence.
Register now to join IBM speaker, Paul Zikopoulos on Tuesday March 27th, 2012 at 12:30 PM Eastern. Sign-up to attend this free webinar.
Here are a few other resources you may wish to tap into if you’re interested in this topic:
1) Dan Dubriwny from the Big Data Tiger Team, IBM USA, was the guest speaker on episode 62 of the DB2 Night Show, hosted by Klaas Brant. The topic was BIG DATA Overview - What is it? Who cares? Catch the replay.
2) Paul Zikopoulos and Robert Thomas were guests on Episode #63 of the DB2Night Show and gave a deep dive into IBM solutions around BIG DATA.
3) At the IBM Information on Demand Conference that took place last October, copies of the Flashbook “Understanding Big Data: Analytics for Enterprise Class Hadoop and Streaming Data” were handed out. If you didn’t get a copy, you can get the free e-version of this book on my bookstore page: ibm.com/software/data/education/bookstore.
4) Read Jeff Jonas’ Business Insider’s talks and his blog entries about Big Data:
- Jeff Jonas Talks Big Data Part 1
- Jeff Jonas Talks Big Data Part 2
- Jeff Jonas Talks Big Data Part 3
- Big Data Flows vs Wicked Leaks
- Big Data, New Physics
5) Dive into the best wiki in the world! BigInsights Technical Enablement Wiki: ibm.com/developerworks/wiki/biginsights/
6) Read this technical intro to IBM BigInsights, IBM’s Big Data platform, by Cynthia Saracco: Understanding InfoSphere BigInsights: An introduction for software architects and technical leaders.
7) One of the 82 Web-based Training Courses available for IM is BigInsights Essentials.
8) Want to learn Hadoop, MapReduce, HBase or other Big Data topics? Join free BigDataUniversity.com. Already 15,000 students have registered.
9) Read the excellent article by Lisa Stapleton that published in a recent edition of the IBM Data Management Magazine BigData - Volume, Variety, and Velocity. How do you attack something *that* big?
10) Read the article Big Data Impacts Data Management: The Big Vs of Big Data by IBM Champion Dave Beulke.
11) Follow the blogs and tweets that are happening real-time via the Big Data Daily.
12) Read the article by IBM Champion Craig Mullins Big Data and 150 Trillion Calculations Per Second at Vestas
Read, attend and learn!