Friday’s DB2 Night Show had two very important purposes. 1, to give us valuable information about the upcoming IDUG conference and 2, to reveal the winner of this year’s DB2’s Got Talent competition. I’ve put my comments about the competition in this blog entry: We HAVE a winner! DB2’s Got Talent Competition
For the IDUG part, we had two guest speakers, Rob Crane (chair) and Vijay Sitaram (chair-elect). They gave us all kinds of things to look forward to. Here’s a summary:
The IDUG conference taking place in Denver Colorado, May 14 – 18. This is possibly the third time that the conference is in this location. It is an attendee favourite for many reasons, including micro brew pubs, scenery, great city – good vibe, restaurants, and ease for many people to get there.
Rob works for Fed Ex and has specialized in DB2 for 20years. He lives in Colorado and is passionate about out door activities like rock climbing and about DB2. He is the current chair and about to pass the baton to Vijay. Vijay works for McKesson Corp. and said he used to do podcasts before he had kids. He is passionate about boating in the Mississippi River
- Monday May 14 is education seminar day. There are 6 education sessions for you to choose from and they are for the entire day. You’ll get two breaks and lunch. I’ve already written a fabulous blog entry about these: Full-Day Educational Seminars at the IDUG DB2 Tech Conference
- Monday evening is the DBI & HLS Technologies party at the Hard Rock Cafe. You’ll need to register for this party here; http://bit.ly/idugparty. Notice that there is a chance to win cash. And, if you pre-register, you can get a t-shirt too! Don’t put the wrong size in, like I did… oops!
- Tuesday the conference begins with the Keynote followed by three spotlight sessions The topic for the Keynote is "Big Data, DB2 and the Future" and includes presenters Anjul Bhambhri, Curt Cotner, and Judy Huber from IBM. For more information and bios for the speakers, visit http://bit.ly/IDUG2012KeyNotes.
- Immediately following the keynote session are three spotlight sessions you can choose from:
- A Modern Scientific Approach to Smarter Planet: Les King, Paul Zikopoulos, Tom Curtis
- Tackling bigger questions out in the open cloud – Curt Cotner & Leon Katsnelson
- DB2 10 for z/OS – Trends and Directions – John Campbell & Jeff Josten & Mike Perera
- Tuesday afternoon the technical sessions begin. There are 120 technical
sessions spread over the following tracks:
- Ala Carte
- Application Development
- DB2 10 for Linux, UNIX, Windows
- DB2 10 for z/OS Migration Planning Workshop
- DB2 for LUW – I
- DB2 for LUW – II
- DB2 for z/OS – I
- DB2 for z/OS – II
- New & Emerging Technology
Once you register for IDUG, you can build your agenda. You can search for sessions based on presenter, title, track or time.
- Tuesday night the Exhibit Hall opens. The hours this year are:
Tuesday: 5:30 pm - 7:30 pm
Wednesday: Noon - 1:30 pm , 5:00 pm - 7:00 pm
Thursday: Noon - 1:30 pm
Come to the Exhibit Hall to network with all the other fabulous attendees, eat, and learn. There may be a few giveaways as well. I know I’m involved in giving away our latest Flashbook: New Flashbook for DB2 10 – Launching at IDUG Denver
- Tuesday night there is also an off-site event held by CA. They only have a limited number of invites, so visit their exhibit in the hall to get one before they run out.
Martin: the more you put into a user group, the more you get out of it.
- Sessions take place all day.
- Evening: Speed Sig: like speed dating… each person presents for 30 minutes. Meet the people who created the code and other DBAs. Come up with your questions in advance.
- Off-site IBM Event: The reception will be held on the rooftop of the Denver Athletic Club (1 block from the Convention Center at 1325 Glenarm Place). The reception is open to all IDUG attendees - simply visit the IBM booth in the Exhibit Hall for entrance to the reception. Take advantage of this time to catch up with colleagues, conference speakers and key members from the IDUG and IBM teams.
- Sessions take place all day.
- More SIGs: Come up with your questions in advance.
- Dine Around Thursday Night – This is an amazing Social Event that increases
the value of the conference. Have dinner with 2 experts in a great
restaurant. Choose who you wish to eat with. Be sure to sign up in advance as
there is only a limited number of people at each dinner.
- Dine Around - Bubba Gump - Vialpando/Kalmuk (Thursday Dine Around)
- Dine Around - Cheescake Factory - Beulke/Sane (Thursday Dine Around)
- Dine Around - Ling and Louie's - Purcell/Grainger (Thursday Dine Around)
- Dine Around - Maggiano's -- Larsen/Baker (Thursday Dine Around)
- Dine Around - P. F. Chang - Katsnelson/Schlamb (Thursday Dine Around)
- Dine Around - Rock Bottom - Stopfer/Hayes (Thursday Dine Around)
- Dine Around - The Appaloosa Grill - Luksetich/Poole (Thursday Dine Around)
- Dine Around - WillieG's - Campbell/Iczkovitz (Thursday Dine Around)
- Sessions take place all MORNING.
- Don’t miss the DB2 10 for z/OS Migration Planning Workshop (MPW) presented by Paul Bartak, which takes place from 8-2 on Friday. Migration Planning Workshops have been in use since DB2 V8. The DB2 10 for z/OS MPW introduced with DB2 10's general availability continues to be updated. A comprehensive review of the many advancements in DB2 are covered, followed by a walk through of the migration process. Whether migrating from DB2 V8 or 9, the MPW reviews the processes that assist in a successful migration and the key considerations. Attendees leave with the session with the DB2 10 MPW Workbook, including checklists and a project framework.
See my previous blog entry about certifications and discount offers: IDUG Denver – May 2012 **Note that the early-bird price was extended until end of Monday, April 23. Register now!
IDUG will help you be successful in your industry and your job. You will meet people who you will likely stay in touch with over the course of your career. This year is even more valuable than previous years with the recently releases of great new products.
I hope to see you there.