Key faculty who are collaborating with IBM on advanced Big Data and Analytics curriculum and programs are gathering for a two day special Big Data and Analytics Academic track at IOD. They will attend several sessions together to share their current programs as well as brainstorm about their next steps and their challenges. They will learn about IBM academic programs and hear from IBM experts in two panels. All of this will strengthen the community amongst these leading academic institutions.
The Big Data panel with Big Data leaders, includes:
- Richard Hale - IBM Big Data Evangelist
- Sunil Soares - Founder & Managing Partner at Information Asset, LLC
- Paraic Sweeney - IBM VP Product Management, InfoSphere
- Dave Wilkinson - IBM VP, InfoSphere Development
The Analytics panel with Analytics leaders includes:
- Tracy Harris - Senior Manager, Business Analytics
- Richard Rodts - Manager, SPSS Solutions Specialist team
- Bob Bry - IBM Academic Initiative Analytics lead
I’m glad to say that we have faculty from some top schools involved with this initiative, including:
- Beijing Jiaotong University, China
- Boston University, USA
- Dalhousie University, Canada
- ITAM, Mexico
- ITESM, Mexico
- Radford University, USA
- Ryerson University, Canada
- Simon Fraser University, Canada
- Southern Methodist University, USA
- State University New York at Buffalo, USA
- Syracuse University, USA
- University of Connecticut, USA
- University of Ottawa, Canada
- University of South Carolina, USA
If you think you should be on this list, let me know and I’ll pass your information to the Academics Team.
Beyond these sessions, the faculty will still have time to experience and learn from the wealth of other IOD events and sessions.
The faculty will also have the opportunity to attend a special, invitation only roundtable session::
"Watson Heads to the Class" - Preparing a New Generation of Thinkers for Next Generation Jobs
Recognizing that a practical understanding of analytics, cognitive computing and big data is key for 21st century jobs and economic competitiveness, this round table will bring together a panel of leaders that can discuss the new ways IBM is working with academia to develop new degree programs, case competitions, case study programs and internships. A key focus of this panel will be how IBM is providing academic organizations and students access to the Watson technology and Watson 'thinkers' in order to foster greater interest and knowledge in cognitive computing, analytics, natural language processing technologies; as well as explore new ways these technologies can be used to address major societal challenges.
IBM Executives: Manoj Saxena, General Manager, IBM Watson Solutions
University partners: Professor Girish Punj, University of Connecticut, Dr. Thomas Fomby, Southern Methodist University, Rajiv Dewan, Sr. Associate Senior Associate Dean for Faculty and Research, University of Rochester
SMART program participant: Matthew Canon, Business Planning and Analysis Manager, Andrews Distributing Company
Beyond IOD, there are many initiatives underway to educate the future, including:
Big Data University
- Easy and Affordable
- Learning Hadoop and other Big Data technologies has never been more affordable! Many courses are FREE!
- Latest industry trends
- Acquire valuable skills and get updated about industry's latest trends right here. Today!
- Learn from the Experts! Big Data University offers education about Hadoop and other technologies by the industry's best!
- Learn at your Own Pace! Find everything right here when you need it and from wherever you are.
IBM DB2 Academic Associate Program
IBM DB2 program for students and the academic community
The IBM DB2 Academic Associate program is exclusively for the university community. The preparation course teaches relational database concepts while also providing students with critical, hands-on database skills on IBM’s DB2 and Data Studio software. Smarter Planet solutions rely on an ever growing amount of data. Learn how to be smart about managing that data with this no-charge academic course and IBM exam.
IBM Student Portal
Students can find out about jobs, competitions, and discounts on certification exams.