Time to upgrade your skills?
svisser1 2700018UK9 Visits (1483)
IT Workers Battle to Keep Skills CurrentDATE: 04-SEP-2007By Deborah Perelman
Back To School: Funding An Ongoing EducationSeptember 2007 - Daniel Margolis New instructor-led online (ILO) training
My team, WW Data Servers Education & Enablement, is either directly or indirectly involved in the creation of many of the training resources that are available to you in the Data Servers area. Our mission is to establish Education as a business driver for our customer’s and partner’s success. We do this by offering you a variety of ways for you to develop your skills, either as a first time user of database products, or as an established expert who wishes to stay abreast of key changes. Here are some of the things that we offer:
* IBM Training- traditional classroom educationOur excellent instructors, high quality materials and hands-on labs combine for an experience that keeps students coming back. In fact, according to our after-class surveys 93% of our students say they will come back to IBM for more training and 97% are extremely satisfied with their instructor.
Here are some of the courses you may want to consider:DB2 9 for z/OS Application Performance and Tuning (CV960)DB2 9 for z/OS Transition Workshop (CV300)DB2 9 for LUW Advanced Database Recovery (CF492)DB2 9 for LUW Multiple Partition DBA Workshop (CF242)DB2 9 for LUW Multiple Partition Environment for Single Partition DBAs (CG242)
- instructor-led online (ILO) educationILO courses are taught by a live instructor on a specific date and time. These courses are exactly the same as their classroom equivalent, including the course length, content and student materials. Students receive their course materials in advance by mail. To participate on the day of the class, all you need is a high-speed Internet connection. This allows you to connect to a virtual classroom enabling you to interact directly with the instructor to ask questions or clarify material...just as you would in a physical classroom.
Here are some of the courses you may want to consider:DB2 9 Database Administration Workshop for UNIX - Instructor Led Online (3L210)DB2 9 Database Administration Workshop for Windows - Instructor Led Online (3L230)DB2 9 for LUW Quickstart for Experienced Relational DBAs - Instructor Led Online (3L480)DB2 for z/OS Data Sharing Implementation - Instructor Led Online (3V210)DB2 UDB for z/OS Data Sharing Recovery and Restart - Instructor Led Online (3V920)
Here are some of the exams that you may want to consider:
Exam 730: DB2 9 FundamentalsExam 731: DB2 9 DBA for Linux UNIX and WindowsExam 732: DB2 9 DBA for z/OSExam 733: DB2 9 Application DeveloperExam 734: DB2 9 Advanced Database Administrator for Linux UNIX and WindowsExam 736: DB2 9 Database Administrator for Linux UNIX and Windows Upgrade
* BooksBooks are wonderful resources to both build and refresh skills. They provide a wonderful opportunity for self-paced learning while becoming a handy reference guide for use on-the-job. IBM offers many great resources to build your library of technical and business skills - two of which are IBM Retail Books and IBM Redbooks.
- Retail books about IBM products are technologies are growing in number. Hopefully you are able to find some in physical bookstores or when searching online bookstores. For a complete list of those available for Information Management, see Information Management Retail books.
Here are some you may want to cons
IBM DB2 9 New Features (McGraw-Hill) by Paul Zikopoulos, George Baklarz, Leon Katsnelson, Chris Eaton (all IBM)
DB2 9 Fundamentals Certification Study Guide (MC Press) by Roger Sanders
DB2 9 for Linux, Unix, and Windows: DBA Guide, Reference and Exam Prep (IBM Press) by George Baklarz (Author), Bill Wong (Author), Paul C. Zikopoulos (Author)- Sixth Edition of our most popular book EVER!
DB2 for Developers (MC Press) by Phil Gunning - expected in December.... SPECIAL 37% PRE-ORDER DISCOUNT!
DB2 9 for z/OS Database Administration Certification Study Guide for Exam 732 (MC Press) by Susan Lawson and Dan Luksetich - October - SPECIAL 30% DISCOUNT ON PRE-ORDERS!
DB2 9 Database Administration Certification Study Guide for Exam 731 (MC Press) by Roger Sanders - October
DB2 9 Database Administration Upgrade Certification Study Guide for Exam 736 (MC Press) by Roger Sanders
- IBM Redbooks are well-known to long time IBM customers, but if they are new to you, essential IBM Redbooks are developed and published by the IBM International Technical Support Organization, ITSO. The ITSO develops and delivers skills, technical know-how, and materials to IBM technical professionals, Business Partners, clients, and the marketplace in general. Most people read IBM Redbooks electronically or by printing out sections of the PDF files that may be downloaded, but did you know that you can also order a printed copy? It is called Print on Demand.
Some that you may want to consider: DB2 9 for z/OS Performance TopicsDatabase Partitioning, Table Partitioning, and MDC for DB2 9Oracle to DB2 Conversion Guide for Linux, UNIX, and Windows
* Tutorials and articlesAlthough you should be able to find tutorials and articles about DB2 in many locations, we focus on ensuring that the DB2 portal of developerWorks is kept up to date with a variety of learning materials.
Here are some you may want to consider:DB2 9 Fundamentals certification 730 prep seriesDB2 9 Database administration 731 certification prep seriesDB2 9 Application Development 733 certification prep series
If my team doesn't create it, we still try to promote it.... like conferences, newsletters, podcasts, etc. If you have some education that you'd like me to know about, make a comment.
I hope that you're able to find something in this list of options to help you keep your skills current!