DB2 10 for z/OS Flashbook: Planning Your Upgrade by John Campbell & Cristian Molaro
svisser1 2700018UK9 Visits (5120)
by Cristian Molaro and John Campbell and Sureka Parekh
About the book:
Under the current economic climate, businesses are under significant pressure to control costs and increase efficiency in order to improve their bottom line. DB2 for z/OS customers around the world are still trying to gain competitive advantage by doing more with less: more business insight, more performance, more operational efficiency, more functionality, more productivity with less cost, quicker time to market and a lower TCO.
With the support for DB2 Version 8 scheduled to end in April 2012 there has never been a better time to start planning your DB2 10 upgrade - there are many more reasons to upgrade to DB2 10 and users will see significant business benefits. Here are the top 10 reasons why we feel you should start planning your upgrade.
1) Improved performance, reduced software license costs
2) Increase the number of concurrent users by a factor of ten
3) Reduce contention in database administration
4) More administrative capabilities while database is online
5) Improved security and auditing
6) Maintain “snapshots” of changing data – Temporal Data
7) Improved portability via enhanced SQL
8) Enhanced pureXML performance and usability
9) Improved productivity for database/systems administrators and application programmers
10) Better online transaction processing performance – Hash Access
About the authors:
Both authors are very well known, so hardly need to be introduced, but nevertheless, here are details:
John Campbell, an IBM Distinguished Engineer working at the IBM Silicon Valley Lab. John is one of IBM’s foremost authorities for implementing high-end database, tran
Cristian Molaro is an independent consultant based in Belgium working in Europe for customers with some of the largest DB2 for z/OS installations. He has presented papers at several international conferences and local user groups in Europe and North America. He holds a Chemical Engineer degree and a Master in Management Sciences and is coauthor of 5 IBM Redbooks related to DB2 including the recent "DB2 10 for z/OS Performance Topics". He was recognized by IBM as an Information Champion in 2009, 2010 and 2011. Cristian is part of the IDUG EMEA Conference Planning Committee, where he works as the Presentations Team Leader, and he is Chairman of the DB2 LUW User Group BeLux.