Yesterday was the day that DB2 10 and InfoSphere Warehouse 10 were made available to purchase. The products were announced on April 2, so I’m sure you’ve seen some of the buzz surrounding this outstanding accomplishment.
On a personal side, my desk in the office is in the middle of the Release Team who managed these releases. It has been an exciting and busy time for all those involved and a huge congratulations go their way for all their hard work! We had a brief celebration in the lab as well and I learned many interesting facts:
- The development team spanned 8 lab sites.
- There are many lines of code! I’m not sure if I can say how many, but lots!
- There were 4 betas with lots of customers and resulting feedback.
- Many solutions were built into DB2 10.
So the developers are moving on to their next thing, but the Db2 10 work doesn’t end here! Now those who create courses, exams, books, webinars, articles, and events are working towards providing you what you need to move to this product and to use if effectively.
Here’s my blog entry about what’s in the release and what IBM Champions are saying about it:
As for education, if you are attending IDUG later this month, you’ll have plenty of learning opportunities:
- DB2 10 for Linux, Unix, Windows - 6 in 60 minutes (SIGs)
Storage & Multi-Temperature Data Management -- Making DB2 Storage Management
Easier With Each New Release - H05
May 16, 2012 (08:30 AM - 09:30 AM)
- DB2 10
for LUW: Time Travel and Compression - H01
May 15, 2012 (12:45 PM - 01:45 PM)
Dive into DB2 10 Query Performance Optimization: Statistics and Optimization
Profiles - H14
May 18, 2012 (09:15 AM - 10:15 AM)
Dive into Multi-Temperature Data Management: Best Practices for Implementing
MDTM - H02
May 15, 2012 (02:00 PM - 03:00 PM)
Dive into Query Performance Optimization: Complex query optimization +
multi-core parallelism - H12
May 17, 2012 (02:45 PM - 03:45 PM)
Dive into Query Performance Optimization: Zigzag Join , Jump Scan - H13
May 18, 2012 (08:00 AM - 09:00 AM)
Dive into Row and Column Access Control: How to Define and Implement Security
Policies - H11
May 17, 2012 (01:30 PM - 02:30 PM)
Dive into Storage Optimization: When and How to use Adaptive Compression -
May 16, 2012 (09:45 AM - 10:45 AM)
Dive into Time Travel Query: Best Practices for Implementing Temporal Tables
while reusing existing applications - H10
May 17, 2012 (09:45 AM - 10:45 AM)
Dive into Time Travel Query: First Steps using Temporal Tables - H09
May 17, 2012 (08:30 AM - 09:30 AM)
Update: Multiple Stand-by (DB2 10 for Linux, Unix, Windows) - H03
May 15, 2012 (03:15 PM - 04:15 PM)
Ways to Tame your Database with DB2 Workload Management - H15
May 18, 2012 (10:30 AM - 11:30 AM)
Compatibility Update for DB2 10 for Linux, Unix, Windows - H08
May 16, 2012 (02:45 PM - 03:45 PM)
Best Practices for Performance and Monitoring - H04
May 15, 2012 (04:30 PM - 05:30 PM)
Data Warehousing Best Practices: Using Ingest Utility - H07
May 16, 2012 (11:00 AM - 11:55 AM)
PLUS, we're launching DB2 10 Flashbook at IDUG: New Flashbook for DB2 10 – Launching at IDUG Denver
If you aren’t attending IDUG, don’t worry! Here’s what I can suggest for you:
- After the conference, I’ll have the PDF version of the Flashbook and will post it on a website for you to download for free. Follow my blog so you won’t miss the news.
- Webinars. Some have taken place, but there are many more planned. Again, follow my blog or twitter and I’ll alert you to the events.
- Articles, blogs, best practices, and more books.
Watch the Replay of these webinars:
- April 26: DB2 Tech Talk: Technical Tour of New DB2 10 and InfoSphere Warehouse 10
- DB2 LUW V10 Breaking News Part 1 of 2
Schedule to attend these upcoming webinars:
- DB2 LUW V10 Breaking News Part 2 of 2 - Compression Enhancements, HADR, Time Travel Queries, Index Jump Scans, Zigzag Joins, and More! Speakers: Danny Arnold and Glen Sheffield, IBM
- DB2 Tech Talk: Optimizing Storage Utilization for DB2 10
There are many blog entries already posted and many more coming. I highly suggest you:
- Follow planetdb2.com which is a blog aggregator for DB2 bloggers. If you have a blog but are not included, send a request to have your blog added.
- Find twitter mentions by searching on twitter tag #db2ten. Even if you don’t have a twitter account, you can enter this tag in google and see what has been posted.
Chris Eaton of IBM created a great video about “why you should consider migrating from Oracle to DB2”
and I found this article/slideshow on eweek.com: Database: IBM Databases: Top 10 Innovations of the Past 50 Years by Darryl K. Taft
As usual, developerWorks is publishing new content on a daily basis to support this release. Here are just a few of the items you’ll be able to find:
- DB2 Express-C 10: Even more value
- DB2 V10.1 Multi-temperature data management recommendations
- DB2 10 query performance enhancements
- DB2 best practices: A practical guide to implementing row and column access control
- DB2 best practices: Storage optimization with deep compression
- DB2 best practices: Temporal data management with DB2
Bookmark this developerWorks page to see articles as they are published: ibm.com/developerworks/data/
And last but not least, IBM Data Management Magazine has a whole series of articles and columns planned to keep you reading. Make sure you check back frequently for new content.
What do you think? What a great amount of content for you to explore … and DB2 10 was just released YESTERDAY! Keep learning!