Having the opportunity to present at the 12th PMI BENELUX day gave me a lot of ''food for thought'' this week.
Harley Lovegrove opened the day with a keynote session on leadership and how you cannot possibly go beyond borders without good leadership - his top 5 tips for good leadership were:
1. Emotional intelligence
5. Intellectual curiosity
I happened to be presenting on ''Agility@Scale'' - the idea that principles of Agile development can scale up to bigger, more complex projects and give you excellent results - more on this later - but the interesting thing is that all of Harley's top tips apply very specifically to agility at scale!
1. Emotional intelligence - you have to strive to get the best from each member of the team, but what works for one team member will not work for another.
2. Confidence - give responsibility to the team members, and trust them to deliver on their own commitments
3. Pragmatism - apply your brain at each and every step.
4. Adaptability - the fundamental of agile.
5. Intellectual curiosity - ''is there a better way, a faster way, a more interesting way?'', ''what can I learn from other teams / disciplines / industries''
Any way - to learn more about Agility@Scale, take a look at Scott Amblers book, which can be downloaded here