The IBM Smarter Process team has recently released Fixpack 220.127.116.11 for IBM BPM. It is recommended that customers on 18.104.22.168 that are not migrating to 22.214.171.124 soon should apply this fixpack. This blog entry provides some clarifications and details about the state of this fixpack and hopefully removes any confusion that might exist.
First, customers should strongly consider updating to 126.96.36.199 rather than staying on the 7.5.x codeline. There are many functional and quality improvements in the 188.8.131.52 codeline. Remember that 7.5.1 was delivered in 2011, 8.0.x was 2012 and 8.5.0.x was a 2013 focus for the engineering team. One of the questions is whether customers should go directly from 184.108.40.206 to 220.127.116.11 or should they go to 18.104.22.168 first? If you are stable on 22.214.171.124, then go directly to 126.96.36.199 in terms of migration. If you need to get stable, it is possible using some of the new capabilities in 188.8.131.52 that are described below will be beneficial. Migration guidance always starts with ensuring what you are going to move is stable and predictable.
Next, as is the case with all fixpacks, there is some important background to understand. In order to ensure appropriate testing of all changes in a maintenance package, there is a point during development when no additional content is added to the maintenance package. This is normal process and procedure for fixpacks. As a result, there are a small number of fixes delivered just prior to the release of the maintenance package that are not included in the maintenance package. Some customers will be running fixes of this nature. These fixes are available on top of the new fixpack. During an update, IBM Install Manager will identify these fixes and display a warning with the list of unresolved APARs. Because these issues are not addressed in the maintenance package, fixes must be subsequently applied to prevent reoccurring problems. Below is an example of the message:
"WARNING: One or more fixes will be uninstalled when IBM® Business Process Manager Advanced is updated to 7.51.2. The update does not address issues that were resolved previously by the maintenance packages. The problems might return if fixes for the following issues are not reapplied or have new fixes applied to prevent the problems from returning."
In addition to the APAR fixes, the 184.108.40.206 maintenance package includes new serviceability and operational improvements:
- New incremental update procedure: the fixpack can be applied to process servers first, starting with test, then staging and when fully tested then to production, and finally after that to process center, process designer and integration designer (do all last of these last three at the same time).
- Improved performance of LSW_BPD_INSTANCE_DELETE stored procedure for deleting process instances.
- New Performance Data Warehouse prune command for removing older data from the PDW
- New BPMDeleteDurableMessages command to remove durable events
- Improved Process Monitor page of the Process Administrator Console. Among other things by now including the time for services to run as part of the time rollup for processes. This data is also now accessible via an MBean.
- Improved performance of the My Team Performance and My Performance scoreboards
- Improved performance of process instance migration by using multiple threads. There is also a new 100custom.xml setting to configure instance migration to not migrate completed tasks, which can have further significant performance enhancements.
Summary of key links:
- Recommended i-fixes that go on top of 220.127.116.11 are here: http://www-933.ibm.com/support/fixcentral/swg/selectFixes?parent=ibm~WebSphere&product=ibm/WebSphere/IBM+Business+Process+Manager+Advanced&release=18.104.22.168&platform=All&function=recommended. We strongly suggest that these be installed.
- All available i-fixes that could go on top of 22.214.171.124 are here: http://www-933.ibm.com/support/fixcentral/swg/selectFixes?parent=ibm~WebSphere&product=ibm/WebSphere/IBM+Business+Process+Manager+Advanced&release=126.96.36.199&platform=All&function=all
- The technical notes for 188.8.131.52 are here: http://www-01.ibm.com/support/search.wss?tc=SSFTN5&atrn=SWVersion&atrv=184.108.40.206
Updates will be made to this blog entry if there are any further clarifications required.