Here is a great interview featuring our customer Austin Energy!
What do you think??[Read More]
SOASOA 060000JRQN 693 Views
SOASOA 060000JRQN 688 Views
OK...now I am in Monte Carlo at the IBM CIO event. There are about 100+ of the most influential CIOs around the world here. Why am I here? Of course, SOA. We have several discussion points around SOA that were quite interesting!
But back to the CIO event, Sam Palmisano kicked off the meeting around Innovation being the path to growth. It was very interesting as he outlined some of the changes needed in the market place thinking....business model innovation being a key differentiator over just new products, new services. For external innovation, collaboration is critical and most companies get their best ideas from employees and customers. He challenged the CIOs with 2 results from IBM 's CIO study .... #1 challenge is that CIO's role are misunderstood because the business acumen is not a strength, and #2 how should CIOs be measured -- not cost so should it be productivity ... or?
A very cool panel followed led by one of my ex Harvard professors Linda Applegate! She led off challenging the audience on the new "inflexion" point. And that innovation is becoming more radical -- it is not what you do but how you do it! She asked how we viewed threats...and said that entrepreneurs viewed threats as opptys ... and innovation is the relentless pursuit of new opportunities regardless of the resources at your disposal. (very cool thought!)
The other folks on the panel were from ING and Astrazeneca. Some important points that came up were: How do we form a relationship between CIO and CFO? How do we manage Maintenance type activities and innovation -- same team, different teams, can they be done by the same person? Are you a risk taker or a risk manager?
It was interesting to see how much alignment there was around the concept of moving from processes that are sequence driven to processes that are now multi-layered and filled with various forms of collaboration! All the items that we have been discussing as part of SOA! Also the concept that innovation is really about a series of incremental steps!!
A thought to depart on for this very late night....are you a Business Outcome Manager? What outcomes are you managing and what are you really measured on!
Well, I'll be here for one more day ... then back to NY! I'll blog on new discussion points tomorrow!
SOASOA 060000JRQN 682 Views
Groupe Mutuel, based in Martigny, Switzerland, provides a wide range of insurance services to more than one million customers representing 1.8 million insurance contracts. The company, made up of 14 loosely coupled business units, is the second largest health insurance provider in Switzerland.
Their goal? Much like all of us, it is becoming number one in the Swiss health insurance market! So what did Groupe Mutuel need to do? They had to become more flexible and cost efficient—but without changing the decentralized structure that is a pillar of its business model.
They mapped the key components of its business processes and built an ESB-based infrastructure that enables the reuse of services across all 14 of its business units. They reduced operational costs through the standardization of backend processes while reducing the time and cost of integrating new acquisitions via SOA-based integration that ultimately allows them to bring new insurance products to market faster.
The results impacted customer satisfaction and retention! For instance, the company's ability to provide an overall “portfolio” view of each customer’s coverage profile positions it to respond to the growing importance of consumer-oriented offerings.[Read More]
SOASOA 060000JRQN 681 Views
This past week on Thursday and Friday you probably saw the press hit the stands!
Let me give you guys a little more information!
1) We announced the connection of a Globally Integrated Enterprise (GIE) with SOA! These common capabilities are what we observe as the 6 Essential Global Competencies, the first capability is to Manage Value Through a specialized ecosystem. What we mean by a specialized ecosystem is Continually assess where, when and by whom value is created across the extended enterprise – what’s core and strategic and what can be leveraged through a partner to drive down costs or achieve global distribution. The second is to Effectively manage Risk and Control by taking innovative approaches to risk management. Examining processes in how work is done and where it flows best, the third is to Enable Modular Business Processes by enabling modular business operations. The fourth is to Foster Global Collaboration by optimizing and harnessing ideas from within the enterprise and sourced from the extended enterprise. Employing both collaborative and traditional innovation approaches are a critical competency. The fifth area is to Leverage Global Assets by using global resources most economically and effectively and lastly, to Serve Distinct Markets by seeking new customers and potential partners.
IBM’s new GIE Assessment capabilities – a detailed assessment in becoming a GIE uses 5 levels of detailed assessment criteria across 24 dimensions for deep understanding of areas to focus on as you begin your Path along the Smart SOA continuum.
We announced: The GIE Assessment
What is it? The Globally Integrated Enterprise Assessments is an assessment to identify and benchmark business model capabilities against world-class standards. Learn more about it!
2) Globally Integrated Enterprises require agility - and that agility is the value proposition of SOA!
What is Agility? Agility is the ability to quickly and effectively respond to changes, opportunities and threats.
What did we announce? Well, we pioneered the Key Agility Indicators (KAIs)...KAIs are made available through a GBS engagement. This whole concept of key agility indicators is powerful! I'll do another blog just on those!
IBM Benchmark Wizard with KAI for supply chain tool. Download the Supply Chain Agility Benchmarks white paper from IBM.com/soa
3) IBM is helping GIEs to optimize and innovate their processes. This leads up to some exciting BPM announcements!!
What did we announce?a) Business Process Management (BPM) Methodology - enhanced with combined software capabilities and business expertise to accelerate process innovation and optimizationb) Tools to work the BPM methodology:Model: WebSphere Business Modeler with advanced usabilityDeploy: IBM WebSphere Business Services Fabric and its associated pre-built, customizable IBM Industry Content PacksAdditional business services New industry content packs in banking, healthcare, insurance, and telecommunicationsMeasure: WebSphere Business Monitor - IBM WebSphere Business Monitor for users to create new KPIs and manage alerts without involving IT.New dashboards including a Business of IT Dashboard to keep tabs on overall IT metrics at a glance.
This set of announcements looks at Power to the Business user!!!! to really exploit SOA!
Let me hear what you think about these announcements!
SOASOA 060000JRQN 679 Views
SOASOA 060000JRQN 663 Views
Our upcoming launch will really emphasize the value of metrics and knowing what information is really going to help you make better business decisions!
Thinking through this you can see that: -All decisions are not equal.. need to know which decisions you need to put most focus on accuracy.. -Identify the key information needed for decision making ... & where it resides in your organization -Make sure that information is accurate & up-to-date at the time at time of decision, and delivered to the decision maker in time & in context... -Make sure that all stake holders in the decision share a common vocabulary regarding the information inputs and decision parameters.. -Have the ability to measure the quality of their decision making over time, and their ability to evolve it .. and constantly work to continuously improve both measurements
This is all related to SOA as SOA gives you the agility and KPIs through BPM enabled by SOA to address some of these questions!
In a related topic, here's the beginning of metrics first of how to determine if SOA can be sold to your board.....ROI being the critical metric! How do you help them decide.....!Visit How to Measure the Value of SOA
More to come!!!
SOASOA 060000JRQN 656 Views
SOASOA 060000JRQN 655 Views
In the same way that SOA is a business approach and not a product, when you deploy an ESB, you are deploying an abstraction layer which provides connectivity and integration across your infrastructure. This addresses a very real business need to simplify the interaction between both existing applications and any new services and this applies to any business approach – SOA or not.
We find that Businesses often first deploy an ESB to address a specific need to connect and mediate between assets in one part of the business. Once an ESB is in place it enables other parts of the business to use or reuse the assets connected to the ESB. An ESB can be deployed purely for connectivity benefits but it often is also a logical step in a move to a comprehensive SOA initiative.
SOASOA 060000JRQN 646 Views
Gang... I wanted to make you aware of our SOA Newsletter for customers!! It has great customer stories that you may want to read through! Here are two links (reg and front page -- front page to refresh later today to current July issue):
It’s free – Register!
Check out a sample! July Sample
Have a great weekend!
SOASOA 060000JRQN 635 Views
On the twelfth month of Chrismas, my true love gave to me.
Twelve months of great SOA marketshare! Wintergreen Report: Wintergreen shows IBM #1 marketshare leader in SOA in 2005!
Eleven chapters written I fulfilled one of my "Top 100 Things in Life" by completing my 1st book on what else? SOA! Check it out at
Ten SOA Summits Yep, 10 SOA Summits! (Dubai, Prague, Tokyo, London, Beijing, Frankfurt, Toronto, NY & Dallas (yes, Dallas is a country!) and Rome!
Nine screws in Sandy's Ankle (which was getting her to the SOA scene) Sandy broke her ankle in February and had 9 screws and a plate inserted to heal it.
Eight games a playin' We have a cool internal SOA Game and have you been to Second Life? We are launching an SOA Land in December!! Stay tuned!!!
Seven great SOA movie reviews!! And our own DVD coming out soon! Have you seen it?
Six Kicks for Orange Belt My daughter loves Tae Kwon Do and is due to get her orange belt in December. It is giving her strength, self confidence, and fun and of course, gives her energy to study her SOA!
Five SOA Entry Points People, Process, and Information. And Reuse and connectivity!!! Four thousand students in the SOA contest in China!! And bylines...check them out!
Three quartesr of great SOA growth! “We had a great quarter.”.. “Our advanced new technologies, such as SOA ... are resonating well with customers. These technologies form the underpinnings of more integrated solutions – incorporating IBM software, services and hardware. This quarter, our software results once again reflected strong demand for products deploying SOAs.” Mark Loughridge, IBM Senior VP and CFO "IBM Q3 2006 Earnings"
2 (Touchee) to our SOA China Contest Winners!! Congrats to Blackstone our SOA contest winner from a key China University!
And wonderful bloggers!! Thanks for reading my BLOG!!![Read More]
China is one of my favorite places in the world. It has an energy and hope that you can feel the second you step off the plane!
I just received a report that Gartner did on Coscon, a shipping company in China, how they have deployed SOA and their learnings. Coscon undertook an SOA intitiatve to rationalize its core port operation systems and improve overall business agility and responsiveness.
They learnings they shared were:
* Linking IT and Business together. Early on!
* Ensure availability of technical staff and skill (in fact, skills are one of the most important areas for customers!)
* Include senior business analysts
SOASOA 060000JRQN 631 Views
1. What are you announcing today? A. IBM is acquiring Webify Solutions, Inc., a leading provider of industry-specific SOA software and services. Webify is a privately-held company, formed in 2002. The company is headquartered in Austin, TX, with a development lab in Mumbai, India. Webify has approximately 120 employees.
2. When did IBM close this deal?A. This deal closed on August 1, 2006.
3. What was the purchase price?A. We are not disclosing the purchase price.
4. Why did IBM acquire Webify? A. IBM has acquired Webify for its market leading industry-focused SOA software and services. Webify can accelerate the delivery of SOA composite business applications based on pre-built, customizable SOA assets, semantic models and policies. IBM Software Group and IBM Global Services will use Webify’s capabilities to enable clients to more quickly and flexibly create SOA applications that can be composed primarily from existing assets. Webify complements and extends IBM’s SOA software portfolio, including WebSphere Integration Developer, WebSphere Process Server, and the WebSphere Service Registry and Repository. Webify has received significant industry recognition, most recently receiving two prestigious awards from ACORD, the Global Standards Association for the Insurance Industry.
5. What are the customer requirements that drove this acquisition?A. Clients want the ability to reuse existing assets in flexible SOA applications that can be built and changed quickly. Clients also require SOA applications that are focused on their specific industries. SOA is about reuse, and Webify takes reuse to the next level by putting it in an industry-specific context. Applications built using SOA principles and Webify technology can be assembled, deployed and changed with significantly less time and resources than traditional applications. Customers have asked us to provide the linkage from SOA to their specific industries, and the acquisition of Webify is the continuation of a significant commitment by IBM in that direction.
6. How does this acquisition allow IBM Software and Services to jointly serve clients?A. This is a unique acquisition for IBM – not just software, not just services, but both. Webify allows IBM to serve clients better by pooling the SOA-related efforts of several groups - Software Group, Global Business Services, Global Technology Services, and the Global Business Solution Center.
IBM Software Group will gain the Webify middleware technology, which extends IBM’s existing SOA Foundation and complements IBM’s SOA Lifecycle and Industry Solutions. IBM Global Services will gain Webify’s existing portfolio of SOA composite business services, as well as its methodology for creating new composite business services. Within IGS, Global Business Services (GBS) intends to provide service engagements based on existing Webify industry content and newly developed industry content. IBM’s recently announced Global Business Solution Center (GBSC) intends to create new composite business services. Global Technology Services (GTS) plans to host and provision existing and newly developed composite business services.
7. What industries are currently covered by Webify?A. Most of Webify’s current customers are in the Insurance and Healthcare industries. Development is currently underway for SOA composite business services in Banking, Telecom, and Public Sector. IBM plans to extend this development across a wide variety of industries. The Global Business Solution Center in India will have the lead role in the development of new SOA composite business services.
8. What is the Global Business Solution Center?A. The Global Business Solution Center in India, which was announced in March 2006, has the primary role within IBM for developing new SOA solution assets, such as the composite business services that are enabled by Webify middleware.
9. What do Webify products do?A. Webify provides middleware tools and runtimes for assembling and deploying industry-specific SOA composite applications. The software includes a wide variety of industry-specific content, including the ability to perform semantic mediation. This semantic mediation capability can significantly speed up the process of providing solutions for industry standards such as ACORD, HIPAA, SWIFT, IAA, HL7, XBRL, FIXML and eTOM, to name just a few. Webify’s industry content also includes business process models, product catalogs (insurance industry products, for example), industry message sets, pre-built Web services assertions, interfaces to third party industry services, and pre-built interoperability with the IBM adaptor portfolio.
10. Why did IBM buy Webify instead of one of its competitors?A. Webify is recognized as having the industry-leading SOA software and services focused on vertical markets.
11. How does the Webify technology extend the IBM SOA development and runtime capabilities? A. Webify extends and complements IBM’s existing SOA Foundation by adding an industry-specific layer that supports semantic mediation. The semantic and industry standards supported by Webify are those that are important to our clients in those industries. Current industry support is for Insurance and Healthcare, with Banking, Telecom and Public Sector in development. Support will be broadened to cover numerous additional industries. Current semantic and industry standards that are supported include ACORD, HIPAA, SWIFT, WS-I, IAA, HL7, XBRL, FIXML and eTOM.
Semantic mediation increases the industry awareness and focus of SOA composite applications. Webify allows for the concept of business context to be dynamically applied to SOA services. This creates a new pattern of business-aware SOA services that focus on line of business execution, rather than technology limitations. This technology can allow development teams to more accurately and efficiently deliver SOA development in alignment with a line of business vision. The Webify runtime extends IBM’s middleware with semantic awareness and the dynamic binding of services, which can allow for a more efficient use of services and a reduction in the quantity of services required.
12. What are IBM’s plans for the products acquired with Webify? A. IBM plans to invest in, support, market and sell the Webify middleware portfolio under the WebSphere brand name. The Webify products continue to be sold as-is and without disruption today. In the coming weeks, IBM will announce the rebranded, renamed, and repackaged versions of the Webify products. IBM is also acquiring from Webify a set of SOA composite business services for specific business areas, such as Claims Lifecycle in the Insurance industry. These composite business services will be used by IBM Global Services to help speed the delivery of mission-critical industry applications to clients.
13. Does IBM intend to further develop the Webify products? What is the roadmap plan for these products? A. Yes. IBM recognizes that industry-focused applications are key to the future of SOA. IBM will further develop and integrate these products, based on the needs of the market.
14. How does IBM intend to price these products? A. Initial pricing will be based on the existing Webify pricing model. Further pricing decisions will be announced as the platform is rebranded. More information and announcements on the topic is expected to be available in late 2006 and 2007.
15. How will the Webify portfolio be branded? A. The Webify middleware will be branded as IBM WebSphere. IBM Global Business Services will use an additional set of assets, Webify’s SOA composite business services, as part of their engagements and the assets that they provide to their clients. Additional information will be made available in the coming weeks. IBM Global Technology Services will provide hosting and provisioning for Webify composite business services.
16. What challenges do you see in integrating Webify with IBM?A. We see no significant problems or challenges with this integration. Webify has been built on and optimized for IBM technology.
SOASOA 060000JRQN 624 Views
Cape Horn is one of the most beautiful cities in the world! And they are also embracing SOA in their growth!
For instance, the Professional Provident Society (PPS) is a South African provider of insurance products to a highly-specialized market: graduate professionals such as doctors and lawyers. The company has been in existence since 1941 and is a leader in its niche. They wanted to improve their ability to bring new products to market in order to respond to changing customer demands and stiffening competition.
PPS replaced all of its legacy systems with a completely new, modular application infrastructure based on the principles of the IBM Insurance Application Architecture (IAA) which is based on SOA. The common IAA-based platform unified several previously disparate policy systems.
This solution has enabled PPS to bring nine new insurance products to market in less than one year, allowed rapid modification of new products in response to competitor actions, reduced application development costs by 50 percent, decreased audit findings by approximately 80 percent, eliminated more than 90 percent of system code, and significantly improved controls for collecting premiums.
Awesome results for South Afrcia!
SOASOA 060000JRQN 616 Views